clutch no workee (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The latest problem with my 1986 FJ60 rebuild is the clutch no workee. I bought a new clutch (JTO) and gave it to the machinist to install when he did the motor. I am assuming that it was the same as the one he removed (I did not see it). I put the motor back in and the transmission shaft went in fine. I put the release bearing and release fork in before I did this. I installed new clutch master and slave. I have repeatedly bled the system and it appears that clear fluid is coming through. THe clutch pedal had good resistance and the slave cylinder push rod moves the release fork. Still, I cannot get it into gear while running. Where have I screwed up? TOmorrow I will pull the inspection pan and have a look. Everything feels right and there are no unusual noises. I have the pedal adjustment up pretty high because I though it would give me more "stroke" into the master cylinder. Should I keep on bleeding the system?

Not sure this is helpful, but since I feel your pain...have you checked out the procedure in the FSM for adjusting the clutch and pedal? There's a certain pedal height above the floor, and a certain amount of freeplay. Pretty easy to set up. If this is right, and you've bleed it right, then I suppose the only place left to look is the clutch itself? Scratching my head...

so far not so good

I checked the pedal distances according to the FSM and they appear OK. I removed the inspection plate and when the pedal is pressed in, the fork moves forward and a gap develops between the back of the clutch plate and what I assume is the pressure plate. I jacked up the rear tire, started it in gear, and put on the brakes...it killed the motor. I put it on the ground, started it in gear, and hit the brakes....it killed the motor. Did this in forward and reverse.
My guesses (1) Clutch is not sliding on the splines of the transmission shaft, (2) The pilot bearing has seized the tip of the transmission shaft, (3) El Nino~

Do I have any recourse other than pulling the transmission? PB Blaster?

Is there any possible way that the guy could have put the clutch plate in backwards?

Its possible to put the clutch disk in backwards. Do a search on it as I'm not positive as to the problem it causes but I think your symptoms sound like it.

I had a similar problem but maybe not so drastic. My centerforce dual friction clutch was working fine until I had my 4 speed replaced by a 5 speed (by another mechanic). After the 5 speed went in I had a hard time getting it into first and sometimes second. Sometimes it would go in OK, sometimes not at all. I looked from the inspection plate and everything seemed to be OK. I dropped the transmission (for another reason) and when I put it back together I had the same problem. I purchased a new OEM disc and clutch and during that install I decided to actually read the FSM (not just look at the pictures). The manual instructs to lightly grease the transmission input shaft splines. The problem went away and has stayed away. Unfortunately I don't know whether it was the new clutch or the grease or both that fixed the problem.

It was backwards

I finally gave in and took it to a local garage. The clutch plate was installed backwards! Now, the rig runs great. I will get the bill tomorrow and hope I can get a reimbursement from the machinist who screwed up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom