Clutch life (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
As part of my H55F conversion I had a brand new LUK clutch that was installed. I'm curious what's the average lifespan of these clutches under average use?

Congrats on the h55! Did you rebuild or source a new one?
I had a tranny & tcase assembly I bought from @orangefj45 back in 2010 but never had a good location to do the swap, so once my automatic started showing signs it was on its way out, I brought my 62 to Torfab in Everett, WA to do the swap. Tranny and tcase had about 5K miles on a rebuild by Georg before the 60 they WERE in got wrecked and Georg pulled them and sold them to me. I'm still getting the hang of driving a stick again but I have to say it's GREAT having the 5spd in my 62 behind the 3FE.

Sweet! It's on my things to do list...I am currently okay with my 3000 rpm if I do 80 mph with a fi sbc. A few more things in the cards first and I can get better mpg if I slow down but it feels good passing everyone lol. At least gas is cheap again!

LUK clutch love you long time.

Depends on how you use the clutch. After 240,000 miles on my Aisin/Toyota disc, it was only 1/2 worn at most. The pilot bearing went long before the disc was going to go.
But I've heard people burn through an OEM disc at at 120K - so it all depends on how you shift the tranny.

My OEM clutch lasted 126k. 4K of those miles were mine. So yes, it will vary greatly depending on driving habits. I would say 150-200k should be reasonable.

My clutch had 300,000 miles on it and it didnt slip. I put an aisin in with the h55f.

The pressure plate was hot spotted to death, but it all still worked.

D89BF1A6-5EE1-4063-9B7B-CB68EEC67954.jpeg

75952200-97C5-4283-9392-F75768779C82.jpeg

005973F2-8FA9-4272-BF49-5DF02FA58B8A.jpeg

~182,000 miles on the original clutch in my '84 FJ60 that I purchased new, moderate to severe use in the Four Corners area and Nevada.

I had a tranny & tcase assembly I bought from @orangefj45 back in 2010 but never had a good location to do the swap, so once my automatic started showing signs it was on its way out, I brought my 62 to Torfab in Everett, WA to do the swap. Tranny and tcase had about 5K miles on a rebuild by Georg before the 60 they WERE in got wrecked and Georg pulled them and sold them to me. I'm still getting the hang of driving a stick again but I have to say it's GREAT having the 5spd in my 62 behind the 3FE.
What does torfab charge to do a clutch change on af55 transmission?

My clutch had 300,000 miles on it and it didnt slip. I put an aisin in with the h55f.

The pressure plate was hot spotted to death, but it all still worked.

View attachment 2300269

View attachment 2300270

View attachment 2300271
Yeah you can't use that pressure plate but I'm sure you know that. Hotspots what causes chatter on the clutch disc. I think it was very rarely that I would ask the customer that they would have to replace a flywheel. I always sent the flywheel into a machine shop to have it turned. Sometimes I shake my head why was I in the auto mechanic business in the early 90s I really didn't make much of an income it at all. But it's good to do something that I'd self-taught and I did hundreds of cars and those several years before I switched into information technology.

What does torfab charge to do a clutch change on af55 transmission?
No clue there. I provided all the major parts when they did the swap so there was the labor for the swap plus a handful of other parts. I'm sure since they've got it down to a science a simple clutch change would be an afternoon job, so can't imagine too much.

@torfab care to chime in?

Also to add: After driving it for a while and a couple road trips, the Luk clutch that Georg provided with the transmission (and was installed) feels GREAT. Not too grabby but doesn't slip either if I let 'er loose. It's probably the perfect clutch for my driving style.

Last edited:
No clue there. I provided all the major parts when they did the swap so there was the labor for the swap plus a handful of other parts. I'm sure since they've got it down to a science a simple clutch change would be an afternoon job, so can't imagine too much.

@torfab care to chime in?
I've done too many questions as in my life. Doing Mobile Mechanics Work just doesn't work my Forge input bearing puller snapped add a remote house and I'm thinking myself how in the effing going to get input bearing out. Then I found out loading up the backside of the transmission input shaft I support bearing is as simple as pushing grease in the back side of it and then find some kind of Rod. That's under a few thousands of an inch smaller than the opening of the transmission input shaft bearing and whack it with a heavy sledgehammer. The grease would force the bearing out in a save my ass. I would never ever ever do a clutch change on the ground ever again it's just too much hard work. I'm glad they did your vehicle and I just curious to know what the labor is.

LUK clutches last a long time. Too long to give a time frame. Figure the master and slave will last less and probably should just be swapped at 100k or so. THe LUK in my FJ62 has close to 10 years and an unknown amount of cruising with no "done" date on the clock.

OEM Toyota clutches last a long while too. On my FJ60 the original went to 210K and was swapped out still working fine.

Plus with the low gear in first on the H55f, means there is even less start up wear. I'd worry about something else. Like Murder Hornets, sun spots or something similar.

Yeah you can't use that pressure plate but I'm sure you know that. Hotspots what causes chatter on the clutch disc. I think it was very rarely that I would ask the customer that they would have to replace a flywheel. I always sent the flywheel into a machine shop to have it turned. Sometimes I shake my head why was I in the auto mechanic business in the early 90s I really didn't make much of an income it at all. But it's good to do something that I'd self-taught and I did hundreds of cars and those several years before I switched into information technology.
I resurfaced the flywheel and used an Aisin Clutch from rock auto. 25k since my swap with no issues.

As @OSS depends on you. I have seen clutches go in 10K I have seen them go in 200K.

Do you ride the clutch? Start off in 2nd or 3rd a lot? Slip the clutch a lot off or on road? All of this will add to wear. The clutch in my first BJ42 lasted 50,000 miles or about there. But the PO obviously abused it, heck even I did not do it any favors starting out in 2nd 100% of the time.

So how long will a clutch last? That is all on you.

LUK clutches last a long time. Too long to give a time frame. Figure the master and slave will last less and probably should just be swapped at 100k or so. THe LUK in my FJ62 has close to 10 years and an unknown amount of cruising with no "done" date on the clock.

OEM Toyota clutches last a long while too. On my FJ60 the original went to 210K and was swapped out still working fine.

Plus with the low gear in first on the H55f, means there is even less start up wear. I'd worry about something else. Like Murder Hornets, sun spots or something similar.
And we should say say the same with Master cylinders brake master cylinders. I had a sudden and catastrophic brake master cylinder failure where I lost braking action to both my brakes and I was shocked. God was probably looking over me that day because my brakes came to a complete failure when I was stopping within 5 feet of a crosswalk on a flat intersection!

I used to drive my 60 like a hot rod... only sometimes now. 60-70k on an Aisin clutch disc. Disc looked great when I swapped the 5 speed in 5 years ago (didn’t install a new one with transmission, it was installed when engine was rebuilt circa 2008). HTH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom