clutch leaks (but doesn't loose fluid) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
if i haven't pushed the clutch in for the past 60 seconds, it looses all pressure and i have to pump it up to get it to work. the interesting part is (to me) that the master cylinder isn't loosing any fluid. air must be getting in, or maybe fluid is leaking around a seal internally. the slave was just rebuilt 500 miles ago so i don't think it has anything to do with that. i tried to bleed the system, but didn't get any air out of the line.
i could use some help.

sure its not leaking on the inside firewall?

It sound like the MC is not holding the pressure. I got my last kit from napa just a few $.

If you have a return spring on the clutch slave, it might be too strong or not attached in the right place creating too much pressure on the slave and forcing fluid back up in the master. And go ahead, ask me how I know.
The other possibility is that even though you had the slave rebuilt, if whoever rebuilt it did not hone the bore, or even if they did, but it was too badly pitted, fluid may be getting past that new seal.
I vote for the first option.

GL

Ed

hmmm, it DOES look like there is some leakage on the inside of the firewall. it's running down by the clutch pedal. what does this mean?

That means the seals inside the master are leaking unless that's left over from the previous master cyl. You're probably looking at either another rebuild which might fix it, but only if it was done incorrectly the first time, or replace it with a rebuilt or new. If you value your interior paint you should probably wash that stuff off too, it'll eat paint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom