Clutch job... extra bolts!?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I put in a new clutch on my 84 bj60 and I’m all done and I have a few extra bolts, wondering if you guys can guess where I missed. I’m mostly worried about the two fatter bolts in the picture. They’re the same diameter but shorter than the 4 transmission bolts and the bell housing bolts.
I’m pretty confident I have all the bellhousing, transmission, rear cross member, and starter all put together correctly. I’m completely mystified by these mystery missed bolts. Any guesses??

image.jpg

Big M10x1.25 bolts go inside the bell housing? I don't know.

Those small M8x1.25 bolts with rust on the leading cutting edge look like they were screwed into the frame originally

Those M10 bolts look too short to pass through the bellhousing into the block. I’d guess maybe 2 of the 4 bolts that hold the trans mount to the transmission body.
The smaller ones definitely look like skid plate bolts or screw into the frame like OSS says. Possibly to hard lines, etc.

Them little bolts are too small for structural fastening of the power train components. I have done my clutch twice and those do not look familiar. Maybe skid plate bolts? take some pics under there to see what you missed.

^^^

Clutch inspection cover, this is what I’m thinking too.

Does the bj have a clutch inspection cover?

no inspection cover, I believe the small one were holding on the fuel and brake lines to the frame, so that mystery solved. The two fat ones though... the cross member under the tranny has 2 large nuts and a bunch of smaller bolts attaching it to the frame mounts, all accounted for. I also agree they’re too short to go through any bell housing or tranny housing, they must go through something thinner... hmmm

No, you're probably right. Generally they bolt to a case bolt, and then to frame. It was the only thing thin enough I could think of.

I put in a new clutch on my 84 bj60 and I’m all done and I have a few extra bolts, wondering if you guys can guess where I missed. I’m mostly worried about the two fatter bolts in the picture. They’re the same diameter but shorter than the 4 transmission bolts and the bell housing bolts.
I’m pretty confident I have all the bellhousing, transmission, rear cross member, and starter all put together correctly. I’m completely mystified by these mystery missed bolts. Any guesses??

View attachment 2315843
That's the part about being a mechanic that I really hated is putting everything back together they'll send you have a bolt or two that you can't find the hole where they go into. Here's a clue the bolt heads that are Rusty they probably are mounted outside of the transmission. The bolt heads that are shiny I hate to say it but those could be pressure plate bolts. Usually pressure plate bolts have a very fine thread. Usually they are shiny.

That's the part about being a mechanic that I really hated is putting everything back together they'll send you have a bolt or two that you can't find the hole where they go into. Here's a clue the bolt heads that are Rusty they probably are mounted outside of the transmission. The bolt heads that are shiny I hate to say it but those could be pressure plate bolts. Usually pressure plate bolts have a very fine thread. Usually they are shiny.
I fail to mention to say you need to draw a picture of the bellhousing and where all the bolts are located and give them a number. Then write the number on the bolt itself.

Mismatched/missing fasteners are a HUGE pet peeve of mine. Drives me crazy, esp when someone else has done it.

Mismatched/missing fasteners are a HUGE pet peeve of mine. Drives me crazy, esp when someone else has done it.
This is something I never did. I could have created or built a plastic flexible sheet and used a knife to make cross slots into it and push bolts into each hole. A label could have been printed out for each hole in numerical order. Use a florescent dye pen and mark each hole with the matching number on the sheet. I used a silverware tray in the past.

This is something I never did. I could have created or built a plastic flexible sheet and used a knife to make cross slots into it and push bolts into each hole. A label could have been printed out for each hole in numerical order. Use a florescent dye pen and mark each hole with the matching number on the sheet. I used a silverware tray in the past.

May the minimum I put all the bolts and small parts in a box or container so I know that everythingI took off is in one place and better go back on. Usually I put bolts back in their holes when I pull items or place them on the holes of the item removed if possible.

Did you put the transmission skid plate back on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom