clutch issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
out 4x4ing today, i ended up sitting on my frame rails (and probably T-case) on a mound of dry dirt.

climbing the mound all was fine, but after extraction from seesawing on the fram the clutch takeup point felt to be right at the top of the travel, and the clutch was slipping like hell.

i drove it home, by the time i got home there was enough clamping force to stall the car in first. but it still slips, and power has to be fed in very gradually.

what should i start looking at. is it possible a heap of dust is interfering? how should i clean it?

I would verify that something is not causing the linkage rod and clutch fork to not operate properly...

Good luck!

-Steve

Poser said:
I would verify that something is not causing the linkage rod and clutch fork to not operate properly...

Good luck!

-Steve

forgive my ignorance, but how would i check this?

i had a quick look and the slave and pushrod are moving fine...

Drop the lower cover off the bellhousing, that'll let you see the clutch fork, disc and flywheel. I think it would be difficult to enough debris inside the clutch to make it slip. Sounds more like maybe the clutch fork is bent or isn't seated properly on the slave cylinder.

This is the clutch you drove for years without a return spring?

yes yes it would be.

but... the spring was replaced in november, and has been running well since then.

almost everyone i've spoken to has voted for the clutch being old and worn

but the fact it went from perfect (i mean perfect, friction point was exactly where i like it) to completely rooted in 2 minutes, and the fact it feels like it's improved since?

i don't know

quick update, a closer look reveals that the bellhousing - chassis mount on the drivers side has lost both bolts... i guess this is bad...

the clutch fork isn;t loose when with no foot on the clutch... that means it's not releasing properly right? the slave cylinder is attached to the before mentioned chassis mount

there is a gap between the mount on the chassis and where it bolts to the bellhousing... should i just get some bolts and tighten back up. how should i go about getting this lined up again?

this makes sense, as it did feel like the shifters were moving a little bit too much under torque loads

update updated.

fixed. FOR FREE

straightened gearbox out, bolt into the mount. readjusted slave.

drives better than it used to (shifters don't twist under torque loads)

scores

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom