Clutch issue suggestions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Calling all Sherlock Holmes out there.

Driving my hj45 yesterday without issue despite doing less than 100miles a year in it and on the return trip suddenly had problems changing gears.
Before I start pulling things apart and dread planning the future I thought I’d throw the symptoms down here in hope one of you generous folk may have ideas….

Driving it’s very difficult to change gear, almost at the forcing it in level.
If I do a normal change it won’t go in.
With engine not running it seems to work ok.
Engine at idle it changes if the clutch pedal is depressed a couple of times (not tried on the road driving)
Reverse “seemed” to go in easier but could just of been the heat of the moment
Fluid seems to be at 50% so will top up after suggestions here.

Thanks as always in advance

Are you saying you have to pump the pedal to get resistance in the pedal so you can get it gear? If so , it sound like an issue with the master or slave. Does the clutch slip when driving?

Check for fluid leaks on drivers floor panel.
Like @pb4ugo said master and slave cylinder sound like the usual suspects.

I replace both at the same time if one gives out. They are relatively inexpensive here in the states to replace.

Last edited:
It might also help to know how many miles are on the clutch. Low fluid and pumping seem to indicate a leak and possibly air in the system.

Are you saying you have to pump the pedal to get resistance in the pedal so you can get it gear? If so , it sound like an issue with the master or slave. Does the clutch slip when driving?
Hmmm I wouldn’t say the resistance felt massively different, just that after a pump it allows the gear exchange.
No slipping at all so far

It might also help to know how many miles are on the clutch. Low fluid and pumping seem to indicate a leak and possibly air in the system.
I couldn’t tell you how many miles on the clutch…. But I imported from the Azores, from a tiny island where it drove 3km each day to pick up firewood for the bakeries wood fired oven from new (sorry to share but I love that history)

So I’ve no reason to think a lot of miles, but a lot of clutch depressing is possible

Just got home from a late finish at work….. tomorrow is a “play day” so will take a good look and post photos

I couldn’t tell you how many miles on the clutch…. But I imported from the Azores, from a tiny island where it drove 3km each day to pick up firewood for the bakeries wood fired oven from new (sorry to share but I love that history)

So I’ve no reason to think a lot of miles, but a lot of clutch depressing is possible

No need to be sorry for sharing, the stories behind the vehicles is more than half why some of us are here.

Are you saying the clutch reservoir is 50% full or the tranny is ?

If the reservoir on the master is half … that is where the issue is

Do you see leaks on firewall or under near the slave cyl?
I did mean the reservoir however tired eyes in the dark weren't as accurate as they should be... Its actually showing about 70%.

I tried topping up, pressing depressing 20 times, but sadly the same issue.

So morning update...

No sign of a visible fluid leak anywhere.
Topped up fluids.

Same issue but a little more accurate information,
idle or driving the same result so not a factor.
Engine off gears move easily and smoothly.
Pressing pedal to change gear equals no joy.
A second press (ie pump the clutch) works OK and gears change.
On the initial press that doesn't work there seems to be a lot of peddle travel before any pressure/resistance felt.
Pump the clutch a few times and the gears will change for a minute or two no issues... Any longer and its needs pumping again.

Open to ideas but from this info I'd guess at the system not remaining pressured therefore a leak. Baffled as to why there's no visible leak so wondering if it's air getting into the system rather than fluid out?

A quick photo to show set up.... Including what looks like an early hilux power steering add on

IMG_20230125_111305.jpg

u have air in the system

Bleed them

When somebody’s up in cab pumping and holding with all their might crawl around and look for leaks

It most likely will be from the slave imho

If it bleeds well and u get peddle back … but… no leaks then PO had air and it was working but not at its best and its just not throwing far enough now

Btw I did have similar issue … the leak did present itself about a month later from the slave :meh:

Than
u have air in the system

Bleed them

When somebody’s up in cab pumping and holding with all their might crawl around and look for leaks

It most likely will be from the slave imho

If it bleeds well and u get peddle back … but… no leaks then PO had air and it was working but not at its best and its just not throwing far enough now

Btw I did have similar issue … the leak did present itself about a month later from the slave :meh:
Thanks for the suggestion, will give it a go and report back!

Be sure to look under the dash on the firewall for a leak too. On FJ40's, there is a clutch adjustment procedure which involves pedal height, pedal freeplay, and freeplay at the adjustment rod at the slave. Pedal height and pedal freeplay involves the stroke of thr master, fyi. I suspect , like Johnny, that there is air in the line. Bleeding is simple. Because this symptoms just started, I think there's a good chance your master and or the slave are on the their way out.

Many thanks for the advice, back to work tomorrow but will borrow a friend with a heavy foot next week!
Will post result and likely ask for info on rebuilds etc lol

I had the same issue, but I didn't find the answer at forums, so I went to my favorite Wall Work service center. Boys there replaced the master and slave cylinder and it was done. Hope you will solve your issue soon:)

it certainly looks like new fluid would be a good idea

I had the same issue, but I didn't find the answer at forums, so I went to my favorite Wall Work service center. Boys there replaced the master and slave cylinder and it was done. Hope you will solve your issue soon:)
Yeah I've already started to search online for both those items... Deal with the shock early they say!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom