Clutch is shot....what else should I do while in there? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did I miss a link to the bread method? How do I do the bread thing?

K

metal shielded bearing? or the double rubber sealed one?

Metal shielded (by Nachi IIRC). I ended up getting it from all-foreign.com along with the Koyo release bearing, and Aisin clutch disc and Aisin cover. $166 shipped for the complete kit, which was cheaper than the local dealer and Napa. I know the later model double rubber sealed pilot bearing is better, but I would have been felt even worse destroying that one on install, as it was much more expensive from the dealer. The Nachi pilot bearing was only $6 on all-foreign.com

would that be white or wheat? crust on or cut off?

I usually use hot dog or hamburger buns. Whatever is cheapest. No crust. I know it works with the crust, but it just seems silly to put crust into your pilot bearing. ;)

Dan

Clutch disc was very much gone (I'll get pics up later).

Finally getting around to posting pics. As you can see, the clutch disc had seen better days. I am surprised I was able to get by as long as I did. Some of the rubber was gone, and the metal ends were rolling around in the clutch assembly.

The hardest part of the repair was getting the tranny back in. I tried on my own unsuccessfully, and then had my brother-in-law help me wrestle it in. I ended up skipping the transfer rebuild for now, as I figured it might be above my skill level (I haven't had any issues with the TC, I just figured new bearings and seals and gaskets might be nice) and I needed to get it back up and running. I did end up replacing the leaking tranny input seal. It drives like an almost new truck now.

Thanks again to everyone for their advice and help.
Clutch1.jpg
Clutch2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom