clutch fork movement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all I have a 72 fj-40 with a 350 and 4 speed LC transmission... When the clutch is fully released it has been making a scraping noise. I figured it was just the flywheel cover being loose, so when I took a look tonight I noticed that the clutch slave is leaking. I also was able to move the clutch fork when the car was running and in neutral both up & down and twisting... made that same scraping noise. Is this thing supposed to be secured in there somewhere? Does it rely on the clutch slave to keep its position, or should it stay still regardless? Just thought I would save myself some work by asking, with midterms coming up and all. If I've been too vague let me know and I will describe further.

I would post some example pics, but I don't know how to post. I'm just a fawkin newbie :flipoff2:

:beer:Big Mike:beer:

P.S. The slave cylinder looks like its stock from the 3-speed... shouldn't it be from a 4 speed? The master is also stock :flipoff2:

Hey Mike,

I have a 60, and don't know exactly what similarities/differences there are between our two clutch setups...but here's what I've found so far on mine...my clutch fork is kept in place by a spring pin, but it does move around as you describe. The slave pin seems to keep it in place also (more or less). There is a scraping noise that I get once every few months, and I just spray some MP lube on some of the metal to metal surfaces on the fork. This makes the scraping go away for awhile. Poor descriptions I know, and to top it off, I'm just learning as I go.

Good luck with mid-terms. While I don't have to suffer through them anymore like you do, I now help my son study for his, and that's a different kind of misery...

Best Regards,

Doug Graham

The clutch fork is held by a ball joint inside the bellhousing and is also fastened to the release bearing holder. There should be very little play in the fork other than in it's natural direction of movement.
I have seen several clutch forks where the spring that holds the fork to the ball is broken.
Scraping noises could also be a bad release bearing as well.

The spring is there to hold the throwout bearing away from the clutch fingers. This lets the inner and outer bearing races spin together and reduces wear. That way the only time the bearing has to do any work is when you put your foot on the clutch.

Sorry to say it, but the scraping sound may be your throwout bearing starting to fail. If it is, you can get by for awhile, but eventually you'll be forced to replace it. The sound goes away when you put a little pressure on the clutch pedal, right? ;)

I think you guys got it nailed right on the head. It stops scraping when I put my foor on the clutch even just a little bit. Man, thats bad news but at least I know what it is now! Thanks for the help guys, looks like I got a busy weekend ahead of me!

:beer:Big Mike :beer:

Mine was making some scraping noises because the fork actually fell off the ball/spring on the bellhousing when I hit a huge hole in the road.. the little spring retainers were all bent to crap.. I recentered the fork and bent the little spring retainers to hold it properly, re-adjusted the slave and checked the pedal play under the dash and have not had a problem since. Usually a throwout bearing going bad makes noise when you push in the clutch, a pilot bearing makes noise when the clutch is not depressed.. hope this helps.

Mike

The throwout bearing I just replaced made noise with no pressure on the pedal. Went away when I stepped on it!

But I had one act like you're saying too, way back when. :)

i had a similar problem. my clutch fork was catching on the transmission mount. never did fix it though, just tore out the manual transmission. i guess that doesn't help. nevermind.

Hey you guys, here is what I have decided: I know that there is a problem in there somewhere, so I am gonna pull everything off of there and replace pretty much all of it except the clutch and pressure plate. Might as well, it'll save me a future trip in there. Sucks cuz I just replaced the transmission a month ago :doh:

Should all be pretty easy, right?

Thanks for your help fellas

:beer:Big Mike :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom