Clutch cover bolts working loose? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Recently I redlined my engine in a heavy traffic situation (not road rage. Calm down) in 2nd gear, and since then I've been hearing a rattle-like sound when cruising in gear. It's pretty faint, but reminds me of when I had a couple loose torque converter bolts in my '74 Plymouth. I haven't pulled the inspection cover off yet to check the clutch cover bolts, but was curious just how likely this is to even be the case. Is it recommended to have thread locker on these bolts? If yes, would I be correct in expecting just blue thread locker, given the light torque the FSM calls for (only 14 ft-lbs)?

I've seen posts saying the issue could also be the throwout bearing rubbing slightly when the clutch is engaged, so I'll be sure to check that as well while I'm in there.

Clutch cover bolts are way over sized for what they do , which is almost nothing. I've never seen them loosen before. Check the exhaust hangars and heat shields

Clutch cover bolts are way over sized for what they do , which is almost nothing. I've never seen them loosen before. Check the exhaust hangars and heat shields
Those are all good. Checked them not long ago while trying to chase down a random clunk (still havent found that either) coming from the rear of the truck. This noise is definitely coming from the transmission or clutch area.

Typically the Toyota throw out bearing will last forever. it doesn't care about rpm.
Press lightly on the clutch pedal to apply pressure to it while engine running. If no change in the mysterious sound then that bearing is fine.
Pilot bearing ditto. If it was bad you'd hear strange sounds when pushing in the clutch at idle on a cold morning, and shifting would be notchy with occasional grinding of gears when shifting.
I don't think redlining your engine did anything bad to the transmission. It doesn't care how fast it spins

Typically the Toyota throw out bearing will last forever. it doesn't care about rpm.
Press lightly on the clutch pedal to apply pressure to it while engine running. If no change in the mysterious sound then that bearing is fine.
Pilot bearing ditto. If it was bad you'd hear strange sounds when pushing in the clutch at idle on a cold morning, and shifting would be notchy with occasional grinding of gears when shifting.
I don't think redlining your engine did anything bad to the transmission. It doesn't care how fast it spins
My thoughts exactly. What had me curious was if one bolt may not have been torqued properly on installation (it happens. We're all human), which if I had done the install would be the first thing I would be going back to double check.

The noise certainly doesn't sound BAD at all. Just the fact that it's a new sound and the timing happens to coincide with when I romped on it the other day (correlation, though like you stated, likely not causation).

when I had the Toyota drivetrain I don't think I ever had more then two, of the seven or eight, bolts that are supposed to hold the inspection cover in place. It never went anywhere :lol:

when I had the Toyota drivetrain I don't think I ever had more then two, of the seven or eight, bolts that are supposed to hold the inspection cover in place. It never went anywhere :lol:
Same here. I think I had three... I haven’t even put it back on.

My thoughts exactly. What had me curious was if one bolt may not have been torqued properly on installation (it happens. We're all human), which if I had done the install would be the first thing I would be going back to double check.

The noise certainly doesn't sound BAD at all. Just the fact that it's a new sound and the timing happens to coincide with when I romped on it the other day (correlation, though like you stated, likely not causation).
If it was maybe only held in with one bolt, but if it has more than one, or all of them in place, one loose won’t create a rattle. Also, it would probably be faster and easier to go crawl under it with a 12mm or 10mm or whatever they are and see if they’re all tight. It wouldn’t take more than 2 minutes.

Probably not the clutch cover. They are barely torqued down and never come loose. Even the bolts are super low grade taffy. If it is a non-OEM disc, it may have shed some coil sprung hub debris inside the cover.

BTW, some previous posters are confusing clutch cover with inspection cover.

Probably not the clutch cover. They are barely torqued down and never come loose. Even the bolts are super low grade taffy. If it is a non-OEM disc, it may have shed some coil sprung hub debris inside the cover.

BTW, some previous posters are confusing clutch cover with inspection cover.
I made sure I got the nomenclature right lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom