Clunky 1FZFE startup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not sure if it has been mentioned before but I had a similar issue with my 94. On random starts the starter would disengage for a split second and make a blood curdling grinding noise as it reengage with the fly wheel. I traced this fault to a bad connection with the small ignition wire on the starter. When I tested the voltage with the connector disconnected I was getting 11.8v. I replaced with a new connector and was getting 12.3v. That solved the problem but I was aware that there was still a lot of voltage drop and my suspicions were that a new cable would be required sometime in the future or installing a separate starter relay.

.......................... or maybe bad connection/contact at the ignition switch....................................
After thinking about the problem and the diagnosis so far by the OP @pawnthatdude I'm seriously thinking this might be the culprit. Think about it, OP jump tested 30+ starts with 4 failures, so basically, low battery is not the issue. If it were a bad cable or loose cable, I believe symptoms would be more severe. The problem only occurs when the starter circuit is engaged. And what initiates the starter? .....The ignition switch. To me, the "cut out" with corresponding dash light flash at the exact same time, is like a momentary release of the key, which tells me that either inside the ignition switch has burnt or dirty contacts, or wire connection on back of switch is loose or corroded. Since I have not been into that part of my 80, I can't help with procedures for disassembly. But that is where I'd look next.

I just went on a 10 day trip through the Southwest. I was a bit nervous to take the Cruiser far from home, but the starting issue only happened one time in 10 days of living out of the Cruiser and probably 100 starts or more. Even with a single degree temperature start one morning it started up strong. So I don't really know what's up. I will say I have not been driving the 80 enough in the past few months to keep both batteries deeply charged. (I say this in spite of the battery testing at much more than the rated CCA a couple weeks ago). Maybe hours of highway cruising gave my starting battery a deep enough charge.

I did have a really interesting problem: if I have the rear window defrost on, the Cruiser will not turn off (the engine will stop, but fan, radio, lights stay on even with the key removed). Basically this: The 80 would not turn off until - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/the-80-would-not-turn-off-until.36747/ But I have not investigated it much.

Worth a try. A ground cable kit might be a good idea too. Theres a guy on here that makes a nice kit. Good grounds make everything happy.

This kit seems to be for an FJ62, is there a different kit for the FZJ80?

I dont have a diagram handy but its on the front drivers side of the cylinder head. Cheep amd quick fix. Worth a try. Accessible with a small wrench.

I've got the sensor so I might as well change it. Presumably coolant comes out of the sensor hole. Did you drain the coolant or just go fast and refill what's lost?

I also have a warrantied Denso starter, not sure if I should install it anymore.

Last edited:
I just went on a 10 day trip through the Southwest. I was a bit nervous to take the Cruiser far from home, but the starting issue only happened one time in 10 days of living out of the Cruiser and probably 100 starts or more. Even with a single degree temperature start one morning it started up strong. So I don't really know what's up. I will say I have not been driving the 80 enough in the past few months to keep both batteries deeply charged. (I say this in spite of the battery testing at much more than the rated CCA a couple weeks ago). Maybe hours of highway cruising gave my starting battery a deep enough charge.

I did have a really interesting problem: if I have the rear window defrost on, the Cruiser will not turn off (the engine will stop, but fan, radio, lights stay on even with the key removed). Basically this: The 80 would not turn off until - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/the-80-would-not-turn-off-until.36747/ But I have not investigated it much.

This kit seems to be for an FJ62, is there a different kit for the FZJ80?

I've got the sensor so I might as well change it. Presumably coolant comes out of the sensor hole. Did you drain the coolant or just go fast and refill what's lost?

I also have a warrantied Denso starter, not sure if I should install it anymore.
No dont drain the coolant. Just have the new sensor ready to go back in quickly.

Im just saying that there is a ground wire kit out there. Save you a lot of time vs building your own ground wires.

Even though it's now been a few weeks since I had any problems starting, I had the sensor so I replaced it. I guess it's good I did because the old one came apart while I was removing it. The shaft was cracked a bit and the plastic was super brittle.

PXL_20220116_193143976.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom