Clunking sound when i make sharp turns?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 83. FJ60 and when i make a real sharp turn it get a clunk clunk sound. Maybe like 3 clunks and then its fine. but it only happen's on sharp turns.

Is this something i need to worry about? Do i need to grease my knuckles?

Thanks

i get the same thing...i originally thought it might be the sway bar, but it still does it with the sway bar removed. i'm thinking now that it might be my springs since the military clamp is sheared.

Could it be ball joints? Does it happen on the front and one side in particular?

my rig did that on the trails but not when i was on the road... i dint really know what it was i just pretended i dint hear anything :)

My guess is that your spring bushing are shot (little rubber things inside the spring eyes). Either they are completely worn through or gone.

I had the same problem with my Fj40 and as fjcruiser advised, replacing all the spring and shackle bushings fixed the problem. Also a much smoother ride and a cheep fix too! Good Luck

yulp, forgot to say after the spring over it was gone :) i thought it was just somthing worn on the steering because it only did it when i had tight turns on the trail..
-al

Hi,

My 60 has a lot of miles, and I'm slowely repairing stuff. Have had the clunking sound since new. Replacing the ball joints didn't fix the problem. Replacing the worn suspension (springs, bushings, shocks, etc.) didn't fix it either. Just last week I rebuilt the front axle - wheel bearings, knuckle bearings, etc. Did not replace birfs, but the clunk happens in 2H, so I don't think birfs are the source. There are three remaining possibilities:
1. Worn steering shaft joints creates the clunk. There is quite a bit of play in these, so they're next on my replace list.
2. Worn steering box causes clunk. Not sure how much play is in the steering gear box. Will know better once I get the steering shaft up to spec.
3. Clunks are common for leaf sprung vehicles.

If it's #3, then a better stereo is in order!

It does sound like it it only coming from the front drivers side. Sometimes i get the clunk and sometimes i don't.

Probably not the case but i'll mention it anyway. My exaust is pretty bad. Mounts and stuff and goofed up. The tailpipe will hit against the frame rail and clunk.

I'm not gonna fix it unitl the stop throwing salt all over the roads :mad:

[quote author=7FootYeti link=board=1;threadid=12062;start=msg111039#msg111039 date=1077819724]
Probably not the case but i'll mention it anyway. My exaust is pretty bad. Mounts and stuff and goofed up. The tailpipe will hit against the frame rail and clunk.

I'm not gonna fix it unitl the stop throwing salt all over the roads :mad:
[/quote]

I had that as well...took a mountain bike tire and cut a section off and wrapped it around that pipe...no more of that noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom