Clunking noise on my LX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I posted awhile back regarding a clunking noise coming from drivers side rear wheel anytime I hit a bump or pothole as well as a bit ofa squeek when driving on uneven pavement. I was advised to check shock upper & lower mounts & bushings which appear to be tight and fine. I have noticed however a small crack in the rear swaybar bushing (see photo) - could this possibly cause the squeeking or clunking sound? Could it be the wheel hub loose? -It seems tight enough. Thanks for any advice!! - Tim

I have a light noise over bumps and when I am wheeling up hill. I just bought a set of sawybar bushings and the cushin you have a picture of. They are cheap and easy to replace. I'll be doing mine this weekend. Non of the local dealers had them in stock, but CDAN did.

Best thing to do is fix things one by one. If you replace the swaybar bushings and the cushin, then you have at the worst, ruled one thing out and won't need to worry about replacing them in the future.

That is not a crack in the bushing, it is a slit that allows you to replace the bushing in place without having to slide it all the way from the end of the bar. This is by design, the bushing is not solid rubber. Nice try though.

Romer said:
I have a light noise over bumps and when I am wheeling up hill. I just bought a set of sawybar bushings and the cushin you have a picture of. They are cheap and easy to replace. I'll be doing mine this weekend. Non of the local dealers had them in stock, but CDAN did.

Best thing to do is fix things one by one. If you replace the swaybar bushings and the cushin, then you have at the worst, ruled one thing out and won't need to worry about replacing them in the future.

Hi Romer - thanks alot for the advice! Think I'll buy a set of new bushings as well. One question - I take it that you have to drop the whole swaybar to slide the bushing on?? or is there another way? -Tim

santiagol said:
That is not a crack in the bushing, it is a slit that allows you to replace the bushing in place without having to slide it all the way from the end of the bar. This is by design, the bushing is not solid rubber. Nice try though.

Santiago - Duh - I kinda thought that before I posted the pick - thanks for letting me know! - do you think a new bushing would clear up my squeeking or clunking noise? Tim

Maybe replacing the bushings will help remove a squeak, but I would look for some other cause for the thump. BTW make sure your tools and jack are not loose. A loose bottle jack will make a nice thumping noise precisely in the rear DS fender area in rough road conditions. Now that would be a cheap fix.

And no, you do not have to remove the bar to replace the bushings, just loosen the nuts that you can see in the pic and they just slide in/out (thanks to the slit design).

santiagol said:
Maybe replacing the bushings will help remove a squeak, but I would look for some other cause for the thump. BTW make sure your tools and jack are not loose. A loose bottle jack will make a nice thumping noise precisely in the rear DS fender area in rough road conditions. Now that would be a cheap fix.

And no, you do not have to remove the bar to replace the bushings, just loosen the nuts that you can see in the pic and they just slide in/out (thanks to the slit design).

Thanks again for your advice on how to replace the bushing!! - good point about the tool kit & jack possibly the culprit - however I have them elsewhere in the truck so that rules them out. thanks again!! - Tim

I was told by others that the Swaybar bushings could fix what some describe as a small clunk sound or rattle. I will fix this over the weekend and post results. I haven't done it, but the FSM shows it to be a simple job.

I'm not sure that the swaybar bushing in the rear would give you a clunk while driving...it's rubber so I don't see where the sound would come from.

Now, the inside bushings that actually connect to the frame attachments might be a possibility since there are metal-to-metal pieces at work there.

Cna we get a better description of the clunk sound? Does it occur at deceleration, acceleration, when you flex, when you come to a stop, when you go from a stop?

Other possibilities: rear panhards, rear control arms (upper and lower), spring mounts, brakes (calipers/rotors/pads)

I think we need more information to diagnose this...

I said I would post results after I replaced the bushings and my noise is gone. About $20 in parts from CDAN and one hour to replace.

Even if this isn't your problem, you won't be out much and it just means you won't have to do it later.

Ken

I replaces ALL of my bushings...front and rear swabar bushings that is.....it drives tighter but it did NOT fix the clunk BUt, it did fix the "pop" I had when I turned right into the driveway...EASY job!
airlaird

airlaird said:
I replaces ALL of my bushings...front and rear swabar bushings that is.....it drives tighter but it did NOT fix the clunk BUt, it did fix the "pop" I had when I turned right into the driveway...EASY job!
airlaird

Hi Airlaird - exactly how do you get the bushings off the swaybars? I take it that they are split at the top and you just press them over the bar? or is there more to it than that? - Thanks - Tim

the magnetguy said:
Hi Airlaird - exactly how do you get the bushings off the swaybars? I take it that they are split at the top and you just press them over the bar? or is there more to it than that? - Thanks - Tim

Correct. Push out bushing, pull old bushing out of metal clip and replace with new. Put some palmolive or some spit into rubber bushing and push back in. Try to link it up as best as possible with the linage assy. so you get a good connection.

Just did mine about a month ago.

Best.
-onur
Akron, OH

Sway bar bushing removal

the magnetguy said:

It was VERY easy. Just So you know, I actually replaced ALL the swaybar bushings front and rear...
Step 1. Jack up the truck so there is no tension on the swaybar( use jack stands of course.)
Step 2. Grab socket wrench and take off the entire front swaybar.
Step 3. Just push out the smaller bushings with your finger ( there is a metal cylinder inside the smaller bushings...push that out first..then the bushings come out easier.
Step 4. Simply pull of the larger bushing by hand and replace with new bushing.
Airlaird

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom