Clunking noise in chassis (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been noticing a clunk that happens usually detectable at very low speeds or when moving away from a stop while turning the vehicle such that there is a bit of lean develop in the body. I don't think that it is driveline related as it doesn't happen while vehicle is moving away from a stop in a straight line. I can't seem to pinpoint the coroner of the vehicle that it seems to come from. It doesn't make any noise while in motion rolling down the road. Any similar experiences and your observations would be appreciated.

What to check?

Body mounts to frame?
Spring mounts and Ubolts?
Shock mounts?
Front hub pivot bearings?
U joints?

Where's the noise coming from ?
Front?
Rear?
Clunk as your moving the steering wheel?
More info needed....

My 80 does the same thing! It's quite audible. I almost posted a thread with the same problem today. Glad it's not just me. Let's get to the bottom of this...

My mechanics thought it was possibly the rear bushings but it still does that since changing those.

4 way coils no leafs on the 80s by the way. Just in case someone doesn't know.

Mine seems to be coming from the rear axle wheel well area on both right and left hand turns as the body begins to roll a bit.

We changed the bushings so it's not that.

Check the bushings on the lower shock mounts. Mine had deteriorated and was making a noise when the vehicle leaned on turns.

No it's not the bushings. Mine are brand news and it still makes the noise.

I have the same clunking noise.
When manufacturers switched from making rubber bushings to polyurethane ones (as they are cheaper), this became a problem.

Have heard however that there are better quality ones out there that dont make noise, such as the ones from MAF.

This will be my next upgrade on the 60

I think that could be it. I just looked it up and broken sway bar links make a clunk or click on turns or bumps.

My 1985 BJ70 made the exact same clunk, it was caused by aftermarket u bolts that came with my leaf spring kit from OME springs. I took a very long breaker bar with a cheater pipe and turned the nuts on the spring u bolts till I couldn't tighten them anymore, the clunk went away, I assume the bolts don't match the parts they are holding so they have to be reformed to fit.
It did solve my clunk.

Jim

My front clunks are the leafs slipping a bit. It was more noticeable before the 1st retorque after new u-bolts. They still do it and I haven't cranked the u-bolts past factory specs. I might end up doing that.

Interesting, I have something similar but was thinking it was my aussie locker grabbing and releasing as I came out of a very slow turn,like in a parking lot.

funny thing is i have not had a time when i was driving that i did not hear a clunk of some kind ???

The undercarriage has new, last year, OME springs with urethane bushings as well as greasable pivots (drilled out grade 8 bolts fitted with grease zirks). Shocks are new as well.

After thinking about the clunking, it comes from front and rear so I am leaning towards the spring axle U bolts as the culprit. I will try a good torque up on them. They were installed with an impact driver but I was reluctant to wind them up super tight. Maybe that aftermarket stuff has stretched a bit.

Sounds to me like one or more panhard bushing are shot given what you have described. If this is it, replace with OEM rubber bushings. The polyurethane ones can wear quickly and then you get that little clunk again.

1985 BJ70, did a frame off with a hot dip galvanized frame, bought a complete spring kit with all new parts which included new urethane bushings, new shocks and rubbers, pins with grease fittings. The clunk shows when you do a corner at slow speed and gets louder if the turn includes a bump of some kind, like coming down a driveway on to the road. The clunk showed up within days of the install, I tried everthing I could think of, took the springs off and greased between each leaf, regreased pins, the only way I made it go away was to torque the u bolts tight enough to cold form them to the shape of the mounting points after I did this the noise went away.
As far as my panhard bushings are shot, they are new so I don't think this is it.

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom