Clunk/rattle noise - please help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

Another noobie here with another annoying question.
I own a 1999 100 series landcruiser 105FZFE. Recently in the past few days, I’ve started to notice a couple of thud and clunking noises along with some rattling noises. The rattling noises I think looking back now have been gradually getting stronger except I’ve only really noticed them now with the introduction of these Thud/Clunk noises. By thud and clunk noise I mean something similar to hitting a metal bar with a hammer. The rattle if you can imagine it is like a consistent ‘chnk’ ‘chnk’ ‘chnk’ ‘chnk’ noise. You can also feel slight vibrations being made from the noise.

The last job I did on my car was replace the two front brake pads. I’ll be honest the job wasn’t done very well and I knew that because of squeaking noises that arose after instalment. They eventually subsided, however.

So now to the current situation. I’ve just driven around the block and have tried to get as many notes as I can and be as descriptive as I can.

When I turn the ignition and sit in the car in neutral there is no thud sounds or rattling sounds. As soon as I get into first gear and start moving forward you can start to hear a rattle noise originating from as far as I can tell, the drive shaft. This rattling noise can be heard at low or high speeds regardless of gear or when turning. There is no noise or issue present when changing gears.

As I gain speed and apply breaks this is the exact moment you can hear the thud sound. Once I press the breaks there is a thud and the rattling noise immediately stops. I can continuously tap the breaks on and off and get a continuous ‘thud’ ‘thud’ ‘thud’. The thud sound may be originating from the driveshaft but almost closer to below the foot pedals. Once I remove my foot off the breaks the rattling returns. The rattling is also present even if the clutch is pressed down. The thud does not occur when releasing the breaks.

When in reverse this is when the thud noise becomes much more severe. The rattling is still present but once the breaks are applied the thud becomes much stronger in vibration and sound to the point where it really does sound/feel like something is going to break or get stuck.

Aside from these noises, the car runs fine with no issues. Let me know what you think might be the issue. Just so happens the car is due for a service this month anyway but id like to see if I can fix this issue myself.

Cheers guys

Inspect all pivoting, rotating, moving parts.
• prop shaft
• bushings in your radius arms (front) and trail arms (rear)
• sway bar links

Inspect bolts and nuts that may have came loose (typical general inspection and maintenance)

Inspect any moving parts that may be hitting/rubbing metal-to-metal.

Inspect all pivoting, rotating, moving parts.
• prop shaft
• bushings in your radius arms (front) and trail arms (rear)
• sway bar links

Inspect bolts and nuts that may have came loose (typical general inspection and maintenance)

Inspect any moving parts that may be hitting/rubbing metal-to-metal.
cheers mate will do

Sounds like a prop shaft issue, including bad ujoints and slip yolk lacking grease.

The brake job sounds like a problem too so I would go back through it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom