Clunk in RHF area somewhere over sharp-rise/fall bumps and potholes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's not the top shock mount either. It might well be something with the spring and the bump stop cone thingy but not sure. Working a bunch of nightshifts atm but once that's over I'll investigate more. My theory is that it's the swaybar moving side to side as the weight shifts between left/right sides at the front making it hit the RHS superflex radius arm. But that's just a theory still.

I found an old thread on lcool covering the sort of clunk I'm getting:

LCOOL.org :: Log in

and one of the things mentioned is elongated radius arm mount holes either on the axle housing or on the chassis. That's something I hadn't considered and as my 80 is 26 yrs old it's a possibility. But if it is the chassis mount for the swaybar on the RHS then that's spot-on where the clunk noise comes from.

Last edited:
Pulled the RHS radius arm today. The holes for the chassis mount are fine, and the rear-most axle housing mount holes are fine. The front-most ones are elongated by about 2 mm but I can't tell from looking at it if that's how it's been all the time. All the bushes are fine (they were renewed by me with new genuine ones not very long ago).

I tightened all the bolts up to 100 ft-lb as I can't get any more tightening them by lying under the 80 and bracing my body against the chassis or a suitable wheel. The factory spec is apparently 172 ft-lb for all radius arm bolts and for the panhard bolts. My el-cheapo torque wrench doesn't go that far. ;)

I can't tell by looking at the RHS front spring if it's been connecting with the bottom of the cone that the bump-stop mounts into.

I re-checked the steering box mounts and the whole area around that (since it was badly cracked when I first got the 80 in 2011 and needed quite a lot of repairs) and nothing moves with a pry bar.

There is very little clearance between the ring around the chassis mount bush for the radius arm and the metalwork of the mount itself. The superior eng arms have more metal there than the factory cast arms do.

30364916868_d7ec146f9c_b.jpg

pic page

Last edited:
Yes the whole exhaust system, and all the mount brackets, and rubber mounts themselves, are new in the last few months. I re-checked all the brackets and mounts a few days ago.

Potholes/trail washes = RHS I’d eyeball the panhard bushes.

If they are original, they need help anyhow, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom