Clunk in RHF area somewhere over sharp-rise/fall bumps and potholes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In recent weeks I've been getting a very noticable clunk from what seems like the RHS front area when driving over road surface that has potholes or surface rises with significant approach edges.

It doesn't happen all the time.

I've spent today under the front checking every fastener in the front suspension and steering (including the panhard and steering box mounts), and can't find anything. I took the front tailshaft off yesterday to eliminate that (it has a lot of slip-joint wear) but still the clunk is there. I checked the engine mounts and they're good.

I have not yet checks the shocks but I have Icon 2.0's and the double-nuts top and bottom are good so I'm happy to tick them off the culprit list.

I checked the brake caliper bolts - all good.

The noise appears to come from right under the driver's footwell area (RHD vehicle btw) and from inside it's hard to pinpoint the location more than that.

I lifted up the front right corner a few times today with a jack to a good 150 mm off the ground and dropped it to 'simulate' the sort of action that's been giving the noise and couldn't make it happen (at least from outside I couldn't hear any sort of clunk).

Anyone able to offer some suggestions? I fitted a full new exhaust and headers a few months ago but that's all still snug as a bug in a rug. Front wheel bearings show no evidence of play.

Craig.

sway bar endlink bushing causes a similar clunk under my feet (LHD driver's side). I also have OME caster bushings that are well past their usable life cycle.

Sway bar bushings Caused my clunk as well. Hard to see the end link bushes as well but grab ahold or graba pry bar and look for movement around the pin.

Check the big two bushings that connect to frame in ctr as well.

Have you checked the body mounts? I had a clunk and the body mount under the drivers foot area was loose.

My first thought would be sway bar bushings.
Second would be the front control arm bushings or loose bolts
Third would be track bar bushings / bolts.

Could the spring be unseating a smidgen or twisting a bit and clunking as it's re-compressed? Maybe banging the spring stop on the lower mount?

Top shock bushing, I have ran into some weird shocks that do not let you compress the rubbers

I have same issue in same location, waiting on trail gear HD tie rod kit to get here....I can rotate mine front to back and make the clunk im hearing. When it gets here ill inform you. drives me nuts. Had it before and after axle rebuild and before and after new suspension. I did have broken springs and thought maybe it was it, but after driving on new set up still there.
I haven't looked into body mount as mentioned before that's a good idea, definitely seems to be a moving part though.

I'm going to check the sway bar to chassis link pins when I next get the chance, along with have a closer look at the shock bushes. I do get a small noise from what I think is the spring but might check it doesn't have a rock or something stuck in either it's top or bottom seat.

BTW those front swaybar mounts.... Can the link and double-bush setup be replaced with something else? Did the 89/92 up 80's have a balljoint type item instead there?

BTW those front swaybar mounts.... Can the link and double-bush setup be replaced with something else? Did the 89/92 up 80's have a balljoint type item instead there?

I think (not certain) you could swap then with later ball joint type link. (105series has ball joint type, but sure if later 80s did)
The newer ones still have the split bushings one end. I'm not sure I'd bother. You would need a different bracket on the chassis

Sway bar end bushes it's hard to see em bet ya. Mine did same last year clunk and wouldn't do it all the time. Twas worn slap out no rubber left on the pass in murica side just the bolt and sleeve Mr. T sent in. Sorry I just finished my bumper and I've step 6 too much to be typing

I've been trying to track down the same clunk for a year. The sound seams to come from right in front of foot well as Sunrk says, mine is both sides. Only noticeable on potholes or corrugated surfaces when cornering. I've replace all radius arm bushes, sway bar bushes on bar - not the to body end. Replaced shocks as I thought they may have been topping out. Rebuilt both hubs. Looked and searched and arrrrgggghhhhhhhhh!!!!. Driving me nuts!

Like @ZackR said it could be the body mounts. I could feel it right under my feet. I couldn't figure it out and finally took it to the dealer who found it quickly. I felt stupid but at least it wasn't something major.

My panhard on the axle end was the culprit of exactly that same thing.

Did you really give it the evil eye or a casual looksie?

We’re at a point just on age that both panhard bushes & all 6 radius arm bushes are getting dry-rot or really worn out.
Legally speaking, all our bushings are old enough to get a drink in a bar (perspective)

I’d hit Joey up 6-8mo ago but he isn’t doing those OE rubber bushes, so I can save you the dime & his time on that avenue.

My clunks were caused by slip yokes having no grease. Go under you rig and wiggle the drive shafts, see if they clunk.

Just completely refurbed the front swaybar (see another thread) so the chassis links are new, and the end link bushes are new. Still got the clunk. I haven't investigated the top shock mount yet. I'm going to check the panhard bolts again next time I'm underneath. In fact I'm going to drop the RH radius arm off to make sure the bushes are stlll good. They should be as I fitted all new genuine bushes not very long ago to both of the Superior Eng 'Superflex' arms.

Just completely refurbed the front swaybar (see another thread) so the chassis links are new, and the end link bushes are new. Still got the clunk. I haven't investigated the top shock mount yet. I'm going to check the panhard bolts again next time I'm underneath. In fact I'm going to drop the RH radius arm off to make sure the bushes are stlll good. They should be as I fitted all new genuine bushes not very long ago to both of the Superior Eng 'Superflex' arms.

I have the same clunk under my RHD, other than making sure everything was safe I haven't looked much into it. How do you like the Superflex arms? We don't have anything like them in the states.

Front shock top nut

Have you looked at the inner portion of the coil spring where maybe the bump stop could be contacting spring?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom