Clunk in 4 runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm just throwing this out there just by chance that this might be a common problem.

At aprupt direction changes in my 1989 4 runner (old body style), left to right, there is a bit of a clunk that just started. It's not bad and seems to be coming from the rear. I lifted all 4 wheels off the ground and checked th bearings. The front ones are tight and in the rear is a very minimal play.
I don't think the clunk has something to do with the bearings. Anybody any idea? What do I have to do to tighten the bearings? Is it as easy as taking the dust cover off, taking the castle nut off and tightening the hub nuts??? I'm used to series rovers. In a rover I wouldn't even worry about it. I would explain that as design tolerances. In a toyota however things are built to better standards, so I figure I should investigate it.

Thanks!

Well,

I spent a little more time trying to narrow down the clunk in the rear. I greased the drive line which didn't make a difference in the clunk.

Jacked the truck up in the rear and noticed the clunk is coming from the back wheels, when I pull on the wheel along the line of the axle. There is no play when I pull the wheel up and down or left and right. Both wheels behave the same. Any thoughts??? Looks like pulling an axle isn't that simple since the bearing is behind the baking plate....

Here's another thing. The clunk only disapears when the truck is empty (no passangers and empty fuel tank) as soon as I fill up the tank it goes away... So I figure that I'm way too paranoid. It must be a bushing in the rear springs or stabilizer. Is there one common thing that usually requires replacement? Also after having a look at a diagram of the rear axle assembly, is some play along the line of the axle normal?

could be just about anything.. my buddys Taco (ma) had a loose ball joint in the sway bar.. We found out the issue by me rocking the truck back and forth producing the sound, he jumped under the truck and looked for stuff moving..

the clucks are annoying but nothin will ever fail unless it is bearings, balljoints last forever in poor condition.

Still I know how it feel to at least know whats making the noise, dunno to much about runners

Well,

I'm not too worried about the clunk too much. However I'm still not sure about the bearing play. The play is only in the direction of the axle. Meaning the line from the brake baking plate to the differential. There is no play in any other direction. The movement is less maybe less than 0.02" . There are no bearing noises coming from the truck when I drive it. Is the play normal?

Again, looking at the diagram I would expect a little bit of play since the bearing is held in place by a cirlip.

Thanks for any answers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom