Clunk from drive line / transfer case (NOT "The Clunk" from rear prop shaft) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Don't know if anyone but me is still intersted in this, but I checked again today. Sure enough, the OP's measurements were about what I have. Much less with the diff locked. Is this pretty normal? Anyone?

I (=OP) am still interested, but can't give you "normal" measures because haven't done anything to it since my first post. Still waiting for someone to respond and still concerned...

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Well, OP, I guess we are the only ones! Does your center diff lock give you trouble? Mine does not lock or unlock easily. I also get an extra trac light that stays on once in a while.

Ryan Bascom checked out my ride and found that the "official clunk" method of greasing my drive shafts had locked my drive shafts in fully extended form. Once he emptied the extra grease out and reinstalled them after a bit of driving I have no more clunk. I had no issues with the CDL on or off. When I was getting the clunk it didn't matter if I used CDL or not.

I have a 1900 mile drive ahead of me so I guess I'll see what happens now.

Greased every possible zerk on my driveshafts/u joints - clunk was gone for about 20 min of driving. I had the same clunk as the author. I tried to get it to clunk again and it would not....then 20 min later....clunk! My guess is that the seals are not holding the grease in and spitting it all out when they start rotating because I do have a lot of grease that kicks up onto my exhaust and the side of the transmission. It seems to happen when I let off the gas while moving and goose it...so now I just ease into acceleration and no clunk, I do still have a clunk going from park to drive and reverse to drive. Sometimes that can be cured if I'm on the brakes hard while shifting.....I'm just learning to deal with it

I'm doing the same. I'm convinced my clunk is inside the center diff. I'm sure not going to take that apart to look around! Hopefully it will just keep clunking...

Did you or @peeaa ever officially fix your issue? old thread i know, but having same issues
Nope, still there. When the truck is cold and I shift from reverse to drive, there is quite a hesitation and clunk. Clears up when warm.

She's been going strong for years now, so I've stopped worrying about it!

I might have the same issue as OP. The clunk happens after it’s warmed up a bit a mile or so from my driveway.

All of what he described, I have exactly that. 211k miles here

Anyone who have found out how much play that's normal in the transfer case? It feels like too much in mine. Hdj100 310 k.

hi
I checked the two diff support bushings on Sunday and they were in good shape. However, the third bushing (see picture) which supports the DS axel tube seems to be dead.

There is no part number for the bushing alone, it is the whole support assy (52380-60040) which is $$$.

Does anybody know if the bushing alone can be replaced and where to get it? Part nr?

I think this bushing is not the reason for the clunk but it needs to be fixed anyway.

peeaa
View attachment 670832
Hi there. did you ever resolve or figure out what was causing your clunk? I have an 05 100 with exactly the same issue as you described in the first post. i can hear and feel the clunk when driving at all speeds and its super annoying. ive done u joints, grease, both front wheel axels checked yokes and drive shafts, swing arms and bushings. all seems to be fine and i still have it bad.....

Nope, still there. When the truck is cold and I shift from reverse to drive, there is quite a hesitation and clunk. Clears up when warm.

I’m in the same boat as @TrekboxX and the OP. Clunk goes away completely when the center diff is locked. Has anyone figured out the answer?

Hi guys

My cruiser has done 330,000 miles 1hd fte hdj100

My car has serious drive line slop now, my centre diff lock is permanently in gaged has been for about 40,000 miles (I have free wheeling front hubs)

I’m convinced the transfer box is worn out, so I’m going to fit another one, it is used but if the noise changes il know it’s this. I planned on filming my clonk to see if it replicated others, so then if I change the box and the noise gets better or changes that may help you guys out !

Mike

Hi guys

My cruiser has done 330,000 miles 1hd fte hdj100

My car has serious drive line slop now, my centre diff lock is permanently in gaged has been for about 40,000 miles (I have free wheeling front hubs)

I’m convinced the transfer box is worn out, so I’m going to fit another one, it is used but if the noise changes il know it’s this. I planned on filming my clonk to see if it replicated others, so then if I change the box and the noise gets better or changes that may help you guys out !

Mike
Thanks @mike harris. Looking forward to your update.

I’m in the same boat as @TrekboxX and the OP. Clunk goes away completely when the center diff is locked. Has anyone figured out the answer?
That makes 4 of us. 2000 UZJ100, I have a massive clunk that shifts the entire rig when shifting from P to D or R. Have greased everything with no luck and have even pulled both prop shafts to try to isolate the clunk. There’s minimal play in both shafts but concerning vertical play where the rear shaft meets the t-case. Have heard of a lot of land rovers with transfer case issues but wasn’t sure how common an issue it is with our 100s. OP hasn’t posted in 10 years so I’m hoping this is more of an ignorable annoyance rather than a priority repair? Lol.

Any update on the clunk/thud as I have similar situation with 04 LC 302k miles?

I have a similar issue to what TrekboxX has mentioned above.

2006 with 266k

I'm seeing it most of the time in pretty isolated situations that are easily replicated:
  • "Punching" the accelerator after coasting (speed doesn't matter), easing back on the accelerator doesn't produce the issue
  • This one is odd but bear with me here: When putting the vehicle in park and it doesn't hit the parking pawl (locks into position), almost every time it will hesitate to go into gear and clunk when it finally does (not sure if related or not).
  • The P to D issue almost makes me think transmission, I'm not sure if related but I do occasionally have a pretty hard shift into 5th but really only when the ATF is cold. I haven't done an ATF flush but am afraid to have more issues as a result.
Would be curious to see if anyone has insight on this or has similar issues, otherwise (as TrekboxX said) I've stopped worrying about it.

Have you looked into the bushings for the front differential? There are two side mounted ones, and one big center one that is two pieces. These trucks are 20+ years old now, and ALL the bushings need to be replaced. Replace them, even if it doesn't fix your exact problem, the truck will be smoother and quieter. Look into your engine and tranny mounts as well. Totally worth the effort.

Have you looked into the bushings for the front differential? There are two side mounted ones, and one big center one that is two pieces. These trucks are 20+ years old now, and ALL the bushings need to be replaced. Replace them, even if it doesn't fix your exact problem, the truck will be smoother and quieter. Look into your engine and tranny mounts as well. Totally worth the effort.
I will check them out again and most likely replace. However I have a feeling it might not fix clunk/thud when accelerating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom