Clunk after put in drive, Clunk when put in reverse? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lx450landcruiser

Threads
drove doen to Phx last night and when i got there i put the cruiser in park and shut it off, when i came back i put the cruiser in reverse accidently and herd a clunk. I then put it in drive and herd the clunck again. Is that my drive shafts doing that? it sounds like its coming from the front but it could be both i guess. In about 1000miles im gonna take it to toyota dealer for overhaul should i be worried about something now?
If i greese the drive shafts would that be a likey solution to fixing this prob?

thanks mike

"In about 1000miles im gonna take it to toyota dealer for overhaul should i be worried about something now?"

Yes - worry about getting totally hosed having your 80 "overhauled" by the Dealer. That issue makes the fact that you probably have normal slack in your drivetrain and unlubed drive shafts completely insignificant. Though it's hard to tell since you're keeping the miles and condition a secret.

Doug

A little slop is normal. WOW you must be rich if you are having the Toyota dealer work on you LC ;)

Sounds like normal slop, but could also be the parking pawl coming out...this can sometimes make a more "loud" noise when coming out of park.

Sure way to confirm...pull into spot in D, put in N with foot brake on....apply parking brake...put directly into P.

I do this as a standard parking practice.

Doug,

Well said...

DanK,

do you use a checklist when you park?

:D Ed

well the miles is comming up on 120,000 and i take it to the dealer cuz I know the parts manager there really well so he gives me a little discount ;) ;) ;) i dont have a ton of time to do it all myself nor the tools but hey since he gives me the discount why not take advantage of it right?

thanks again
mike

Yes, I do...I also wear a pilot hat and have an internal PA to point out interesting sites as I drive by them...

:flipoff2:

DanK,

:cheers:

Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom