Clueless on diesels considering a bj (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So an opportunity arose for me to buy a bj40 at a great deal from a guy who has taken extremely good care of his bj40 b engine. I’m really handy and a quick learner but I wouldn’t say I know what Im doing as far a fixing/restoring cars. And I definitely no nothing about diesels. That being said would it be silly to dive into a bj40? I know finding parts with these is rough and repairs can be more costly. On the other hand diesels are know for longevity and the mpg is also a plus. Thoughts?

I'd go for it. One thing to keep in mind is that they are very slow. They'll take you anywhere, but speed isn't one of their characteristics.

So an opportunity arose for me to buy a bj40 at a great deal from a guy who has taken extremely good care of his bj40 b engine. I’m really handy and a quick learner but I wouldn’t say I know what Im doing as far a fixing/restoring cars. And I definitely no nothing about diesels. That being said would it be silly to dive into a bj40? I know finding parts with these is rough and repairs can be more costly. On the other hand diesels are know for longevity and the mpg is also a plus. Thoughts?
The B series engine is a 4 cylinder (used mostly in light commercial trucks in the 1970's) later replaced by the 6 cylinder H and 2H in the 40 series. Very economical , high mileage and simple compared to modern diesels but nowhere near as powerful (or fast) as the 2F engine was until Toyota turbo diesels became popular. Even in Australia these are becoming rare and often replaced with later model turbo diesels in Land Cruisers. Not sure many would have made it to the U.S. If you can, drive it and see if you can live with the performance.

The B engines are monsters and will go for ever. that said when you need service or something needs repairs you are going to be hard pressed to find a knowledgeable mechanic in the US near you that is not swamped. You will also be buying parts from Canada and Europe if you need something.

The B series engine is a 4 cylinder (used mostly in light commercial trucks in the 1970's) later replaced by the 6 cylinder H and 2H in the 40 series

I show the H engine back to 4/72 in the HJ45 long wheel base truck. The B engine back to 2/74 in the BJ40. The B engine were in the short and mid wheel base until 8/80 when the 3B started. Then it was available in the long wheel base in some markets. The six cylinder diesel H engine was only available in the long wheel 40 series and started before the four cylinder B engine. Think many wish the B engine started and then the H engine replaced it. Toyota built these as a utility vehicle more a sport vehicle. Back in the early sixties the Jeep CJ, Land Rover and International Scout were all petrol four cylinder engines. Toyota marketed the big six cylinder engine as a more sport type vehicle. Today we refer to the F engine as a tractor engine.

Diesels have a narrower power band than a gas engine, but they make more power at lower RPMs too. You have to learn how to drive them and make sure you have plenty of room to pull out in traffic or you will get hit.

My first diesel was a Navistar 7.3 IDE naturally aspirated but only made 180 HP with a 5 speed transmission. Even that big of an engine in a F250 struggled with speed but did not care about weight in the truck once I got it up to speed it did a good job maintaining the speed unless I was on a grade, but down shifting usually took care of loss of speed or if I was climbing a grade like in CA and the slower cars would not stay in a slower lane and I had to shed my momentum it did not recover without getting deep in the transmission. It smoked at higher elevation because I could not get enough air into the engine. But it still did better than gas engines in the trucks I had before. The last 3 diesels were turbo charged and with the right transmissions they can be quick.

They race turbo charged diesels against gas engine and the diesel will win most of the time and Cummins built a formula 1 car that took the pole position but destroyed the tires. I have driven sedans in Erurop with diesels and 5 speed manuals that were quick and a lot of fun to drive.

The tachometer is your friend driving a diesel.

Last edited:
So part availability is hard but not impossible, so if I started just accumulating/ordering parts preemptively I could get them correct? Even when thinking about getting a f/2f I’ve been planning on getting a good stock pile of parts ready basically as if I was doing a full rebuild.

I’m not necessarily Looking for quick (hints the whole fj40/bj40 search 😂) but I do plan on driving whatever I get a ton. Lots of good info guys, keep it coming.

I'd say go for it. If it's a good deal and you can afford it, why not.

Parts for a 3B could be hard to find and somewhat pricey.
Also 3B engines are know to have cracked heads, so check the compression before you buy it.

IMG_1298.jpg

Also 3B engines are know to have cracked heads, so check the compression before you buy it.
So I take it this on being the B engine means even harder to find.

View attachment 3095734high EGTs
That is a pre combustion chamber and it had high EGTs
A parameter is also your friend.

Not downshifted when climbing a grade.

I’m not necessarily Looking for quick (hints the whole fj40/bj40 search 😂) but I do plan on driving whatever I get a ton. Lots of good info guys, keep it coming.
My point was if you don't give yourself enough room getting into traffic and the car coming from behind gets real close because you can't accelerate fast enough. I happened to more times than it should have with my F250 diesel.

I've never owned one, but I've read on here the B motors do not lend themselves well to turbos. Some have done it, you can do a search in the diesel section for more information. The 3Bs are better for that, but still not ideal. The 13BT was the factory turbo solution, but a decade later, and very rare now.

Nothing wrong with Canada for parts. :cheers:

Steve @ EBI cruisers is a great guy to work with and he knows Cruiser diesels well.

Lots of parts in our local club… a couple members have built 3Bs out of a collection of 3B parts. I have also heard 3Bs are happier than Bs with a turbo. In fact lots it 3Bs seem to do very well turbocharged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom