*********Club SHAMONwich June 20th-22th************* (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Trollhole

THC
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
We have moved this event back due to parts availbility

Jun 20th-22nd

Alan Hardins house. Cleveland, SC.

One of the single most popular things that needs to be done on a cruiser is to rebuild the front and rear axles.

Friday starting after 5, all day Sat and Sunday. We either camp or stay at a hotel nearby. Those details can be worked out. But we will provide a shuttle to and from the HAMON. I'd also like to use this time to hold some classes.

First and foremost will be an axle rebuild class to get everyone familiar with what we will be tackling.

2nd will be a Differential rebuild class. This will include how to install an ARB locker as well as installing chromoly birfields into an early housing. I will work with Richmond Gear or Aussie locker and see if they will donate a locker to show how a ratchet locker is installed. Maybe we could get someone to step up to the plate and show us how to take out and install a third member in an FJC. Since they have had some issues.

3rd and if there is time will be a transfer case rebuild class. Including single piece 3 and 4 speed t-cases as well as the split case. I have a split case that can be rebuilt and probably the majority of the single case found on 40's.

What you need to think about now. What you want to do. You will need to have all the parts needed to do a rebuild. I will have 2 complete sets of axles there for any 40 or 60 series that may run into an issue. You will also need the basic tools. A metric socket set and box wrenches are a must. I will have everything else to do the jobs properly. Just remember you will be doing the work with someone helping you do it right. The whole point of this exercise is to give you the confidence of being able to do this on your own.

Also anyone who wants to tackle anything else can join in on the fun I as well as others will be willing to give out any help we can.

All in all it ought to be a lot of fun and a great learning experience for all.

If your interested in participating or just coming to give a hand and learn something post below. If you have any ideas throw them out.

Last edited:
GREAT IDEA, Marshall!! Just another reason UC is such a great club. :beer:

Hopefully I can make it to learn, and hopefully bring a cruiser. One other idea for this could be do a safety checkup. Check status of members winch cables, tree straps, etc, and provide them with a list of things needed before going out on the trails. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Doesn't someone have a big warehouse with carpets we could place underneath to catch the grease and oil?
kidding aside, sounds like a cool idea!

great idea.
depending on when this takes place, i'll come down just to wrench on y'all's junk and hang out. been too long since i've seen y'all.

malphrus

Last edited:
Great idea, just makes me wish I had waited on doing both my axles last winter.

I would definately be interested in the diff rebuild stuff. Always wanted to learn how to do that.

I was kidding in the fact that I've been cleaning the muck off my garage floor so my wife won't be mad at me....changed the belts on mine and left a LOT of muck on the floor.....probably need to look at ways to protect the floor if its held there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could someone take the time to teach me to weld? I'm going to become a pro by the time Jerry-Jeff is looking good but I need a starting point.

Could someone take the time to teach me to weld? I'm going to become a pro by the time Jerry-Jeff is looking good but I need a starting point.

shizz josh, just come up to nashville sometime, i'll teach you.

malphrus

The bank account would really appreciate it if I could stop writing checks to the mechanic. Sounds like a great opportunity to learn some things. If there is any way I can make I will be there. Great idea!!!

shizz josh, just come up to nashville sometime, i'll teach you.

malphrus

Good to hear from you again Potty. I'd love to come visit sometime! All it takes is time, right? Hope to see you soon bro.

This is going to be so much fun. With a weekend like this I might just learn a thing or two.

Alan offered up his place for the weekend. Which is a lot nicer. We will rent a port-a-jon. I will work on sleeping arangements but I'm sure camping is good. This will be a work in progress.

Ok, I'm in and will be camping in Hardin Woods!

I would love to attend (at least for part of the weekend). I am another who has always wanted to learn how to do an axle rebuild. Funny....I was mentioning to the SO last night about *needing* 4.88's and ARB's so we could run 35's ;)

I nominate Alans shop :D

sounds like a good idea; I can't think of anything better than 3 days of bathing in 90w :cheers:

I agree, this would work out well. The only dates that doesn't work is 11-13. Otherwise the "Skunkwerks North" is an excellent choice.

Edited

Last edited by a moderator:
Great idea, the axles are on my "short" list and I would love to learn to do it in the presence of some skilled people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom