Club radio purchase (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
At the last meeting, we talked about the possibility of buying hand held radios. I visited ComWest Radio at 8171 Main St, Vancouver, 604 321 3200. He is offering the ICOM IC-V8 hand held 144MHz FM Transceiver for $175. plus the quarter-wave magnetic base antenna for $40. so the total would be $215. plus taxes = $245. complete with rechargable batteries and 110V charger. A 12V in-vehicle charger is also available for about $9. This setup would probably be adequate for our needs, although a half-wave whip antenna is also available for $67. if you prefered that. This radio would not use CB frequencies.

The ICOM is a highly-rated unit that meets military standard 810. The beauty of this unit is that you can dial into the logging company frequency so that you don't become road-kill by being unexpectedly flattened by a logging truck. :crybaby:

Users of this equipment are supposed to aquire Ham amature radio licences and we could arrange a weekend course to get qualified. Some users, like paragliders, use these radios without licences, but I understand it is not too difficult to get a licence now that we don't have to bother with Morse Code any more. Be aware that our radio transmission could go long distances and be heard by large numbers of people through repeater stations. :eek:

At the last club meeting, the following people expressed some interest in this radio. Barry, Steve, Rob, Mike, Paul, Rod, Gary T, Greg-- I need some feedback now as to if you are still interested please. If we go ahead with this purchase, I think we would just go to ComWest individually to buy our own units rather than the club putting out the money up front.
COMMENTS PLEASE!
~Bill :banana:

Deny: What is the name and/or email to that radio store in Mission where we might get an even better price on the ICOM? Steve said you might know.... :cool:
~Bill

I'd be interested in taking the course, finances may not allow for the purchase of another "toy", just yet... :cool:

I'm not getting much feedback on this radio purchase, so I guess it goes on the back burner until after New Year or until more people firm up their plans. Several people who initially expressed interest have now decided not to at this time. I have not been able to get out in the bush and do a test of these units because my insurance is off mine until Spring. If there is enough interest , I'll arrange the radio course in the New Year, but I needed feedback and so far it has not been coming in.
~Bill

Last edited:
FLASH ANNOUNCEMENT: ;p
Mike McTague and I have now decided to go ahead with our radio purchase after all. We are going into ComWest on Tuesday afternoon at 3:30 in case any of you want to join us there. I'm getting the quarter wave antenna and Mike is getting the half wave whip. Anyone else in?
~Bill :beer:

Details

Did anyone check into the details of the radio I mentioned at the last meeting...

Can it be opened up (receive and transmit)

Will it do 136-174megs so we can cover all the frequences used by logging trucks and forestry.

Most likely the answers are yes since it is an ICOM, and a ham radio, but if not it's close to useless for many of us.

Garry

Yes, come to tomorrow's meeting and take a look at it. Its not for everybody because most do not go on logging roads during the weekdays. For those who go out twice a year on Sundays, they might just be happy with a walkie-talkie from K-Mart. The beauty of the ICOM is that it can get you out of a bad situation with its longer range. If you fell in a hole while hiking, or came across a car accident somewhere up the road, you might be able to raise some emergency help somewhere. Since you sometimes go out pretty far from Squamish, I would think that you would be one of those who could use the ICOM.
~Bill

Radios sounded great from what I saw at dinner last night, and the abilities disussed during dinner has almost sold me on one. I think I will be getting one.

Any other feedback people heard?

gb

The feedback was pretty much all positive. Several members want one. We will be having one of these radios as a grand prize in the Christmas Party Raffle.
I'll write up the minutes of the meeting and get it online tonight.
Greg, I forgot to ask you about that rust preventative of Allstone's to bring to the meeting.
~Bill

ComWest is presently out of stock on the ICOM V-8. More will arrive by November 25. If you want one, tell Stan at ComWest that you are a member of CC and he will make sure enough units arrive. I would recommend a speaker/mike as an accessory.
~Bill

ComWest is a professional, licenced, legitimate radio vendor and would never do anything like that. Please do not in any way indicate that he would ever perform anything not kosher. However, my next door neighbour will do it and it will cost you a beer.
~Bill

Hi Bill,

I note there is an IC-V82 that is a bit more powerful and a few more gadgets and is for sale online in Canada for $199 (compared to $175 for the V8). Same trans/rec range.

Did you consider this unit?

Bruce

Hi Bruce:
I'll talk to ComWest tomorrow and ask him about that model. I notice that your callsign is automatically included in transmissions and some members will not want that going out. It does have 200 memory channels and 7 watts max output as opposed to 100 channels and 5 watts with the V-8.
Glad you enjoyed the Thursday meeting, it was lively and everybody was in a pretty good mood considering its November and hardly anybody is out there wheeling right now.
~Bill

Its just a great group. Even the guys I've never really spoken to are interesting listening. It was good to finally meet Steve T. A good man. And our Pres. He play-actioned on the winning draw number so many times.... had me fooled each time. Like using 2 lb test. :)

B

Hi Bill,

The call sign trans is only in digital mode.

B

7 watts may be dangerous to your health if using a rubber duck antenna. I'll ask about that too. I guess things depend on how deep we get into this. If we are just using a couple of channels to talk to each other on the trail, then 200 is overkill. However if we persue the Ham thing and get into emergency rescue, etc, maybe the 200 is desirable. The more features, the highter cost. Some members are struggling to justify $200. as it is. So many questions, so little cognitive capacity on my part. :confused:
~Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom