1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Club Picnic at Carderock this Sat - 8/26

Discussion in 'VA/DC/MD- Capital Land Cruiser Club' started by Felix, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Felix

Felix

Hey Everyone,

Grab the family, toss them in the cruiser, and come on out!!

We're moving forward with the Capital Land Cruiser Club Picnic this Saturday from 11:00 - 3:00 at Carderock Park, on the Maryland side of Great Falls. I don't have detailed directions, yet, to our specific park location, but to get to the park, take the beltway to the Clara Barton Pkwy West (exit 41), the last in MD before crossing the American Legion Bridge. Follow the C.B. pkwy for almost a mile till you see the exit for Carderock Park. Once I have detailed directions from there, I'll let you all know.

As for food and stuff, we'll use the park's grills if we can, but we'll bring our own just in case. Hamburgers, hotdogs, whatever else you want to bring. As for beverages, this is going to be a family event at a family location, so please use discretion. I'm not saying you can't or even that you shouldn't. I'm just saying be cool about it.

If you're planning on coming, please post up so we all know what everyone's bringing.

Hope to see you there,
    Felix

2. Blue77FJ40

Blue77FJ40 SILVER Star

This is kinda short notice, but yeah, I can bring turkey burgers.

3. Felix

Felix

Yeah, sorry about the short notice. There was kind of a mix-up of planning responsibility. And then the President took off to FRANCE!!! :eek:

:D

So, rather than push it back AGAIN, I thought, what the hell? Let's eat grilled meat.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2006
  4. Riad

Riad

I am not sure about this but I think that park will not allow any alcohol beverage, I could be wrong. I can't drink any alcohol anyway. I am waiting on the hall pass from the boss since this involves food :D. This is great! finally some club event on my side of the town :D. Hopefully I will be able to make this.

5. Felix

Felix

You're absolutely right. The park does not allow alcoholic beverage, just like most public parks. But I know that folks sometimes break these rules. The CLCC as a club will not be providing or encouraging any consumption of alcohol. If any individuals wish to press their luck and consume this substance from a discreetly marked container, the CLCC is not going to stop you.

:D

It'll be a low key thing. I'm not too worried about it.

6. 76LC

76LC

I thought we were talking about a BBQ later on in the fall...

I will try to swing by, but have a pretty busy weekend.

7. John Smith

John Smith In the garage

Media:
    Albums:
    The wife and I will ride our bikes there.

8. Felix

Felix

So, seriously, has anyone been there? And do you tell us all how to get to a good picnic spot?

9. kulangot

kulangot

Check out the billy goat trail and Mather's gorge. There are some very interesting geo features there to check out. Basically, a huge rift opened up and the river fell in. You can see river bed on top of the gorge from where it ran along before an earthquake opened up the gorge. Also fun to watch the rock climbers in this area as well as the guys on the squirt boats.

Even though the water is low, stay out, lots of people have died there, a few every year.

I've done a lot of mountain biking on both sides of the river there, great place to go for a hike or sneak in a ride as most of the trails are now closed.

A much quiter place to have a picknic would be Scott's Run just off the beltway or Riverbend park off of Riverbend Road, most of the other parks are overun with people at this time of the year.

Have fun.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2008
  10. H2o

H2o

Thanks john. do you know if there are any good places there to BBQ and chill? from google earth, it looks like the parking area SE has more green area. I suggest this area on the left after you go through the tunnel. if for some reason it is packed, we can try the other areas. look for cruisers. Hopefully someone will bring one :) Anyway I will be there. I will bring a small grill and charcoal.

Here are good directions i found: http://www.bikewashington.org/parking/carderock/index.htm

Bob, no complaining, we will see you there.

Riad, feel free to bring family. We meant this to be family event too were members can bring kids.

see you all there.

S.

11. kulangot

kulangot

yea, there are a lot of places to BBQ and a large pavillion that can be rented. IIRC there were a bunch of park style bbq's.

I have not been there in years but here is the FAQ:

Recreation

Bring a Hibachi, I'd bet there will be a lot of people there. Many of my fellow hispanic (and other) immigrants have developed a great fondness for taking over the local parks enmass with huge gatherings of 100 plus people (for the PC police, I don't mean this in a derogatory way). I hike through Great Falls, Difficult Run, Scott's Run, Riverbend, etc on a regular basis and can't believe how many people are there compared to 15 years ago when I basically had the place to myself or you'd see a familly here and there having a small picnic. Carderock and Great Falls are by far the busyiest parks.

Years ago, CLCC used to have picknics at Lake Fairfax and Nottoway and one year we had a huge one at my house back when I had a lot of land. All were fun with a big turnout.

Glad to see you guys still doing stuff, have a great time. Josh and I were talking the other day about how cool it is that the club still is going strong.

12. 76LC

76LC

I'm pretty sure that I'll stop on by, so what's the deal with bringing food and stuff?

13. Felix

Felix

The deal with bringing food is that it'll be somewhere in between bringing food for just you and a potluck. So, just bring whatever you like to eat at a bbq, enough for you, plus maybe a little extra. If everybody does that, we can all share and everyone's covered. Just bring everything you'd need for the food you're bringing. If you'd want lettuce and tomatoes on the burgers you're bringing, bring the toppings, too.

14. Jester

Jester

My wife & I might come by if this isn't a CLCC exclusive event. We should be in a 40th 80 with a couple of fuzzy dogs.

Tim Minner

15. Felix

Felix

We'd be happy to have you! This won't be exclusive at all.

16. Riad

Riad

Looks like I'm not gonna make it.

Have fun guys :cheers:

17. Max.Powerzz

Max.Powerzz Cruisers and Art!

Sadly I'm going to be out of town, but have fun and don't hit the :beer: too hard...

18. jaab

jaab

I should be there with wife, toddler and 100 series... should i bring some charcoal? tiny gas grill? where are we cookin?

19. kulangot

kulangot

You guys should pass around some cell phone numbers, I went on a Geology field trip there and we had a hard time getting the class together.

Might make it easier to rendezvouse.

20. jaab

jaab

Great idea, (571)2378748

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">