1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Club CB channel?

Discussion in 'MT- 406 Cruisers' started by RoverChris, May 21, 2017.

1. RoverChris

RoverChris

Being new, I'm not sure if this has come up before or not? I was wondering if there's a "designated" club CB channel? When I'm out and about town I tend to have my CB on and scanning channels just for the heck of it (you hear some interesting things at times!). The other day in traffic, TC spotted me and waved. It would have been cool to just jump on the radio and be able to say "Hey, what's up? Where ya headed?, etc.). Not two minutes after that, I spotted another member and would have liked to done the same thing. So I guess it's really two questions....

1. Is there a designated channel?
    2. How many people keep their radios on when they're out and around town?

2. 3rdGenTRD

3rdGenTRD

I don't know about a club channel but I just finished my CB install about an hour ago so I am curious about this as well now.

RoverChris likes this.
  3. RoverChris

RoverChris

Just curious what radio and antenna did you install? I have a Uniden Bearcat 980 SSB with a Firestik Firefly antenna.

4. 3rdGenTRD

3rdGenTRD

I got the Midland 75-822 because it is not a vehicle only one. It has an adaptor to be used as a vehicle radio with a mounted antenna or I can switch to a battery pack and stubby antenna for walking around with it. I like the dash slots available for storage as well. I am running an old antenna that my dad has laying around, just a 4' fiberglass one, could be fire stick but didn't actually look. In my one test I was out a quarter mile or so and my dad could hear my loud and clear.

5. evkotoday

evkotoday

Channel 7 if I am remembering correctly. I leave mine on all the time because it's wired to the ignition.

6. 80 Sack

80 Sack

My radio is only on for trail rides. As far as which channel, we will usually get on whatever has the least chatter. I use the firestik firefly as well. Seemed Like the obivious choice to stand up to abuse. So if you see me out and want to say hi, don't try to radio me, text me...it's 2017.

travcaldwell likes this.
  7. 80 Sack

80 Sack

8. RoverChris

RoverChris

Texting and driving is no bueno. LOL

9. rc51kid

rc51kid

better would be a ham channel.;)

10. RoverChris

RoverChris

That's my next step. But for now, it's just CB.

11. JohnnyOshow22

JohnnyOshow22 KK0TEQ

Bringing this thread back to life. I'm moving to Bozeman on Friday and am curious about whether the club uses Ham or CB more? The tlca club where I am uses Ham because the repeater network here in Colorado, the clarity and range is so much better! I have my technician license for Ham and have both Ham and CB in the truck but haven't had my CB working for two years(snapped my antenna off). Should I get the CB working again or are you more of a Ham crowd? I'm going to try and make one of the trail rides 2 weekends out and would like to be able to communicate on the trail.

Thanks,

Johnny

12. RoverChris

RoverChris

CB is a basic requirement for participating in the trail rides. To my knowledge, there's only a small number of members that have ham in their vehicle in addition to CB, but rarely used. If I'm wrong on that, I'm sure one of the other members whose been here longer than me can correct me.

13. JohnnyOshow22

JohnnyOshow22 KK0TEQ

Thanks @RoverChris I Just looked at the bylaws and it confirmed what you said. Looks like a CB is a requirement for trail rides. Time to get it working again...

14. Saul Abel

Saul Abel

Chanel 4 as in 4x4 makes the most sense to me...

15. NyNomad

NyNomad

Toyota's need to not be on the same station as jeeps :D

16. JohnnyOshow22

JohnnyOshow22 KK0TEQ

Would be better if we had a HAM frequency our club lived on

NyNomad and ttFJC like this.
  17. ttFJC

ttFJC

@JohnnyOshow22
    This reminded me i need to look into that..is your CO ham licence good in MT or do you have to renew it? just curious, because they are issued by the state right?

18. JohnnyOshow22

JohnnyOshow22 KK0TEQ

So your ham license is distributed by the FCC. Doesn't matter where you are or where you get your license. The only thing that will be designated by area is the single # in your callsign the FCC assigns to you. My call sign is KK0TEQ. The 0 designates the area that you are from and the areas cover more than one state. I forget all what 0 covers but Colorado is part of it. If you talk to someone say kk6wry (my dad) you'll know he is a west coaster since that is area 6. I forget exactly but I think my license is good for 5 years and is good nation wide

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  19. elkun1

elkun1

good for 10 yrs, mt. is 7. there is a reciprocal agreement with canada so we can operate there. also most other nations we can operate in with a permit. lots of info on the web Ron kc7pev

20. JohnnyOshow22

JohnnyOshow22 KK0TEQ

Thanks for adding that @elkun1! @ttFJC there are also different levels of ham licenses. Technician, General and Extra. You start as a technician and then you can test to get your General then extra. You get new perks with each one. An extra could talk around the world where as a technician is likely only going to use it for trail runs. Does anyone know if there is a Ham club here in Bozeman? If there was enough interest we could probably set up a test for the club with them. My last TLCA club did that with the local ham club and the cost was like $15 each and a lot of members did it.

ttFJC likes this.