Cloth versus Hard Top (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
hotmilkforbreakfast.wordpress.com
I've seen mentioned in a few threads Mudders saying there was a thread(s) which compared cloth tops versus hard tops.

The thrust of the comments were that the cloth top actually compared well to the hard top in most aspects and was superior to it in noise and warmth.

I find this curious, as it seems to go against my assumptions, and I daily drive a vintage convertible.

My lack of knowledge of this part of the forum and suckage at searching has left me dry on a thread that discusses that. Anyone have comments on this or could link me to threads that discuss it?

Thanks!

Oops! Did a Google search and found a thread.

having had experiences with both styles (79’& 74’) I would say the only advantage of hard tops is aesthetics- if that’s your thing, sound, and longevity/durability. I’m not sure how soft could be quieter, that is not the experience I had with the specter top from the 90’s. Can’t speak on newer soft tops.

Beyond the obvious convertible advantages, best part IMO of soft top is it drives like the top is off, in terms of the weight and center of gravity. You corner better- sort of speak- and you accelerate better on road. Also, less tipsy, and lower profile off-road. Maybe better mpg too?

you can put a ton of gear on top of a hard top with a rack; so chalk that up to hard top also. I’m not sure I would overland or long road- trip with soft unless I was solo. I would say window fog and defrosting isn’t as bad either on rainy/snowy days on glass vs plastic.

Just get both :)

having had experiences with both styles (79’& 74’) I would say the only advantage of hard tops is aesthetics- if that’s your thing, sound, and longevity/durability. I’m not sure how soft could be quieter, that is not the experience I had with the specter top from the 90’s. Can’t speak on newer soft tops.

Beyond the obvious convertible advantages, best part IMO of soft top is it drives like the top is off, in terms of the weight and center of gravity. You corner better- sort of speak- and you accelerate better on road. Also, less tipsy, and lower profile off-road. Maybe better mpg too?

you can put a ton of gear on top of a hard top with a rack; so chalk that up to hard top also. I’m not sure I would overland or long road- trip with soft unless I was solo. I would say window fog and defrosting isn’t as bad either on rainy/snowy days on glass vs plastic.

Just get both :)

You make a great point about the weight and CG.

While I'm looking at both FST and hard top FJ40s to buy, the soft top fits closer to my minimalist philosophy. If I get a hard top, I'm considering converting it to a FST configuration.

I hate roof racks with a burning passion. The only one who rides with me for more than a few miles is my dog. On the few occasions people ride in my FJ55, it's the grand kids, nieces and nephews and their progeny, and I think rolling the back windows up safari style with troop seats would tickle their fancy.

I'm starting to warm up to the idea of a factory style soft top.

I'm starting to warm up to the idea of a factory style soft top.
All the college chicks drive those soft top jeeps!

At least they used to, now it seems like all the new jeeps are modular hardtop.

Life is better when you have options. Up here in the PNW the weather and temperatures change quickly. I run a hardtop from October to April, softop for May, bikini top from June to August, back to the softop for September then start the cycle all over again. So essentially the softop is the one I use the least, only on 2 months out of the year vs. 7 months with the hardtop. 😀

Last edited:
Life is better when you have options. Up here in the PNW the weather and temperatures change quickly. I run a hardtop from October to April, softop for May, bikini top from June to August, back to the softop for September then start the cycle all over again. So essentially the softop is the one I use the least, only on 2 months out of the year vs. 7 months with the hardtop. 😀
Here in Tennessee, I drive my 1967 Mustang convertible until December and start driving it again sometime in February. Never put the top up.

I already have an FJ55, so I'm leaning heavily toward an OEM, or repro FST for what I have planned.

I always run a hardtop. I also have A/C which helps, but it is quieter, holds temperature better, and where I am, it gets cold enough most of the time I have no will to run a soft top since it will never be rolled up. I've never had a problem with the extra weight up top wheeling, but I am about 8" wider than stock with my axle and wheel combo. I think it looks way better with the top anyways.

Last edited:
I loved my soft top, I was one of the fortunate ones to get a nice one from OCD, But.... I hated not being able to lock my rig anywhere. Remote trailhead? Walmart? I finally sold it but it did look very cool and I loved to roll the side up and cruise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom