close to buying an 80 - axle issues? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
About to put down 10k on a locked 97. 120k and very clean. One strange behavior that it seems to exihibit is a SLIGHT surge/ clunk only upon coming to a complete stop or starting from a complete stop (like at a red light.) Shifts and drives without notice otherwise, and its so minor I am wondering if I am paranoid, but could it point to axle or worse, trans/ transfer issues? Maybe a bad spline somewhere?

I am expecting to do some front axle work eventually as it has the commonplace grease on the knucles....

It's more likely to be a slip-yoke on the driveshaft needing to be cleaned and re-greased. But without driving it or looking at it I can't be 100% sure.

drive flanges?

It's more likely to be a slip-yoke on the driveshaft needing to be cleaned and re-greased. But without driving it or looking at it I can't be 100% sure.

Agreed.

Another possibility is a minor adjustment to the kick-down cable. It can be finicky until the adjustment is right. Easy to do and cheap.

-B-

You should check out some of the vehicles here before putting that much down. A couple guys here are selling locked 80s.

DougM

Thanks all for the ideas on the noise diagnosis

Anyone out there that is interested in selling their 97 80 to me let me know quick...as I said I am about to purchase. It will need to be wife-friendly on the inside (Read: pretty) - she is wearing the pants since I bought a old MB SL280 project....

Thanks all for the ideas on the noise diagnosis

Anyone out there that is interested in selling their 97 80 to me let me know quick...as I said I am about to purchase. It will need to be wife-friendly on the inside (Read: pretty) - she is wearing the pants since I bought a old MB SL280 project....

do you want a stock rig or something modified?

I was going to suggest the kickdown cable too. Check the idle. If its a little high it might mean that your kickdown cable is too tight and causing the throttle position to be slightly more open than it should be at idle.

Karl

I am looking for Stock more or less, with lockers. of course I would pay extra if it had a professional TRD SC installation.

Ill check the kickdown cable later today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom