Close call w/ rattlesnake in ABSP (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So last Sat/Sun a buddy and I headed out to ABSP to explore the Carrizo Gorge area just north of I-8. This is one area I have not checked out in about 15 years and man was I missing out. There is nothing hard about the wheeling but the scenery is spectacular and the flowers were better than the area around Coyote canyon that is so crowded.

After spending half the day checking out trails that were not on most of the maps and getting lost a few times we made our way up Dos Cabezas road to the Carrizo Gorge trailhead. This trailhead takes you up the old railroad through 16 tunnels and eventually you will be at the famous goat canyon trestle (although we never made it this far).

We started hiking up the railway tracks (actually walking in the middle of the tracks) when not a quarter mile up the track I take a step and hear what sounds like a high pressure gas leak. I was in the lead and immediately froze and my friend promptly ran into the back of me. Not 5 feet in front of me was a small rattlesanke that if I had taken one more step would most likely have struck me.

I have come across a few rattlesnakes before and most of them a lot bigger but this was the most pissed off aggressive one i have ever seen. I ended up taking a few photos of him and then hiking another 1.5 miles to some of the tunnels before turning back.

I am definetely heading back out there to hike the full length to see the trestles. Enjoy the photos.
Rattlesnake.jpg
rattlesnake 2.jpg
Trucks.jpg

few more photos
Railway tunnel.jpg
Me in front of tunnel.jpg
Flowers.jpg

So am I safe to assume that this area is near Carizzo Badlands just West of the Coyote Mountains?

I came across a smaller rattler under a tupperware container that was under our pop-up trailer one morning out in Ocotillo. Luckily I found it before my curious Beagle!
P1010007.JPG

Yours looked like a diamond head as well! Scary stuff.

Everytime I see pics of that area it makes me want to get out there. Thanks for sharing Dan and I'm glad you only had "visual" contact rather than "physical" contact with that rattler. :eek:

You've got to be careful of the little ones more than than the full size adults. The 'babies' can't or don't control the amount of venom as well as full grown rattlers and are, therefore, much more dangerous.

So am I safe to assume that this area is near Carizzo Badlands just West of the Coyote Mountains?

Yes, Southwest of the Coyote Mtns. We exited off the 8 at Ocotillo and instead of going right towards Plaster City we went left and followed the frontage road about a mile until it ended and started our journey. Only saw one Jeep until we made it to the railroad which surprised me for a Saturday.

You've got to be careful of the little ones more than than the full size adults. The 'babies' can't or don't control the amount of venom as well as full grown rattlers and are, therefore, much more dangerous.

Yeah, I know about the babies and when I saw it my heart skipped a beat as it was samll and blended right in. I ran across a 4 foot rattler up Coyote Canyon several years ago that was not nearly as aggitated. Someone told me they thought it might be a Pygmy rattler or "Hell on a rope" that are rare and can only be found in this area of the Desert.

Yeah, I know about the babies and when I saw it my heart skipped a beat as it was samll and blended right in. I ran across a 4 foot rattler up Coyote Canyon several years ago that was not nearly as aggitated. Someone told me they thought it might be a Pygmy rattler or "Hell on a rope" that are rare and can only be found in this area of the Desert.

Being out there frequently enough, I carry a snake bit kit in my supply of first aid items! I think my heart would have skipped a beat or two as well in those circumstances! :eek:

sounds like the cut out or suck out (bad?) approaches have been well debunked by now. What's the latest?

Are there any effective snake bit kits in the market for various snakes? I heard(maybe wrong) that different kits are necessary for different snakes poisons.

Whenever going out & camping, snakes are always headache to me.

The latest wisdom is to not cut the skin and the use of the suction device has limited and possibly harmful effects to the flesh.

If bitten they say to keep the bitten area immobile if possible and below the level of the heart (do not elevate).

Basically the best thing is to get to a hospital ASAP for antivenin injections. Call 911 or get on your HAM if you do not have cell coverage, and get help.

The latest wisdom is to not cut the skin and the use of the suction device has limited and possibly harmful effects to the flesh.

If bitten they say to keep the bitten area immobile if possible and below the level of the heart (do not elevate).

Basically the best thing is to get to a hospital ASAP for antivenin injections. Call 911 or get on your HAM if you do not have cell coverage, and get help.

X2, exactly what I've been told in my last 2 CPR/First aid courses.

X3, and I'd guess that the small hospital in Borrego Springs has plenty of rattlesnake antivenum too!

ID

The snake on the tracks is a "speck" we call them, or a speckled rattlesnake, they are typically less mellow, and in my opinion the most beautiful.

The second is a sidewinder, usually very jumpy and smallest of the rattlers in our area by far.

Here is a pretty pinkish "speck" we found on the other end of Coyote Canyon up in Anza.

194210681.jpg

The snake on the tracks is a "speck" we call them, or a speckled rattlesnake, they are typically less mellow, and in my opinion the most beautiful.

The second is a sidewinder, usually very jumpy and smallest of the rattlers in our area by far.

Here is a pretty pinkish "speck" we found on the other end of Coyote Canyon up in Anza.

194210681.jpg

eh, do you guys also see the blue line "deeper" in the screen or is just my display (or my eyes?) ?

The blue line is definitely blurry for me. I have to move closer to the screen to even read it.

To borrow a line from Indian Jones...

"I HATE snakes"

That is all!

100% true.

eh, do you guys also see the blue line "deeper" in the screen or is just my display (or my eyes?) ?

The wavelength of blue light versus red light causes odd depth perception issues if those colors are close together, like on a instrument cluster. Blue will seem recessed, red will seem to pop out at you. This is part of why old #D movie glasses had one red lens and one blue.

Optical Illusions and the Illusion of Love: Scientific American Slideshows

And not the same, but related:
Perception puzzles, Visual Perception, Optical illusions and Paradoxes

100% true.

The wavelength of blue light versus red light causes odd depth perception issues if those colors are close together, like on a instrument cluster. Blue will seem recessed, red will seem to pop out at you. This is part of why old #D movie glasses had one red lens and one blue.

Optical Illusions and the Illusion of Love: Scientific American Slideshows

And not the same, but related:
Perception puzzles, Visual Perception, Optical illusions and Paradoxes

ah nice, I can see that, just a focusing issue basically. Interesting. Thanks

So last Sat/Sun a buddy and I headed out to ABSP to explore the Carrizo Gorge area just north of I-8. This is one area I have not checked out in about 15 years and man was I missing out. There is nothing hard about the wheeling but the scenery is spectacular and the flowers were better than the area around Coyote canyon that is so crowded.

After spending half the day checking out trails that were not on most of the maps and getting lost a few times we made our way up Dos Cabezas road to the Carrizo Gorge trailhead. This trailhead takes you up the old railroad through 16 tunnels and eventually you will be at the famous goat canyon trestle (although we never made it this far).

We started hiking up the railway tracks (actually walking in the middle of the tracks) when not a quarter mile up the track I take a step and hear what sounds like a high pressure gas leak. I was in the lead and immediately froze and my friend promptly ran into the back of me. Not 5 feet in front of me was a small rattlesanke that if I had taken one more step would most likely have struck me.

I have come across a few rattlesnakes before and most of them a lot bigger but this was the most pissed off aggressive one i have ever seen. I ended up taking a few photos of him and then hiking another 1.5 miles to some of the tunnels before turning back.

I am definetely heading back out there to hike the full length to see the trestles. Enjoy the photos.

Be careful walking along the tracks, it’s illegal and you can get a hefty fine.:eek:
It’s an active railroad track and they do patrol it. Several years ago they closed it off. I’m surprised you did not see any signs. It was a great mountain bike ride as the grade was minimal. The wooden trestle is one of the largest in the country.
You have to come in over goat canyon or down below by the oasis to be on the good side of the law.;)
117-1761_IMG.jpg
117-1771_IMG.jpg
trestle 2.jpg

Be careful walking along the tracks, it’s illegal and you can get a hefty fine.:eek:
It’s an active railroad track and they do patrol it. Several years ago they closed it off. I’m surprised you did not see any signs. It was a great mountain bike ride as the grade was minimal. The wooden trestle is one of the largest in the country.
You have to come in over goat canyon or down below by the oasis to be on the good side of the law.;)

interesting, is this true of all railroad tracks?

And so, Mr. Legality, how d' you get the last picture, exactly? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom