Climate control turns off?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've done a fair amount of searching both IH8MUD and Google as well as perusing the voluminous owners manual without an answer...so I have a question.

Last week I took my 2013 in for its 45K service which amounted to a 5K oil change. They inspected both the cabin filter and the engine filter and replaced neither. Over the last few weeks it's been quite cold (negative temps) in Colorado. Ever since that service, if the LC sits for more than an hour, when I start it back up, the climate control is turned off. I have to press the "Auto" button to fire it back up.

Have you ever seen this? Time for a dealer visit???

Thanks!
Adam

Mine does it as well, or resets to 75*. I checked my blend door behind the glove box and it functions perfectly. Some people have reported the plastic arm on the door gets broken if the filter is changed and the AC is not in the correct position. I wish I knew the answer.

BAM! Thanks. I opened the door for the cabin filter and found the dealer had reinstalled it improperly. The just tossed the filter cartridge on top of the carrier. Did not snap it back into the carrier so the blend door could not close. This was apparently causing an error in the climate control system and forcing it to shut down.

Truth be told, I'm a little disappointed here. My dealer has thus far done a great job. However I suppose an untrained lazy monkey was working on my $80K+ vehicle. Heck, even the owners manual shows how to replace the cabin filter. Morons.

That stinks

It happened to me as well, I installed mine correctly and it still resets. I wonder if I need to have the CC system reset by the dealer?

So good news! Called and (calmly) spoke to the service manager. My request was for a new no-cost cabin air filter. They gave it to me! (I'll install it tonight to replace the messed up one.)

Score one for continued great customer service!

The problem is that your wife that knows nothing about cars should be able to take your ride in for service and not have them return it to her in worse condition then she brought it in.

The problem is that your wife that knows nothing about cars should be able to take your ride in for service and not have them return it to her in worse condition then she brought it in.

True. However she knows nothing about cars so the only time she visits a dealer is if something catastrophic happens.

Oh, and someone decided to rear-end my LC yesterday with their Tundra. Fortunately the damage was relatively minor and they are reputable. It has an appointment with the body shop next Thursday.

True. However she knows nothing about cars so the only time she visits a dealer is if something catastrophic happens.

Oh, and someone decided to rear-end my LC yesterday with their Tundra. Fortunately the damage was relatively minor and they are reputable. It has an appointment with the body shop next Thursday.

Damn that s*** pisses me of!!! I've been driving for almost 50 years and I have never ran into anyone. But I pay attention!!! I have been run into and you always get the short end of the stick. You now have a car that's been repaired and you have wasted your time dealing with someone else's mistake.

Funnily enough, the guy offered me a 'couple hundred dollars' on the spot. While that was a nice gesture and all, I explained that it was an $80K truck that was just a year old so we'd need to get a professional to look at it.

So good news! Called and (calmly) spoke to the service manager. My request was for a new no-cost cabin air filter. They gave it to me! (I'll install it tonight to replace the messed up one.)

Score one for continued great customer service!

So did the new cabin air filter, properly installed, fix the problem?

Yep! The new properly installed filter fixed the problem. Working like a champ in the black on black crusher.

Keep hope alive!

So I checked the cabin air filter, and sure enough, it was just laying in there on top of the cartridge that holds it. I removed the cartridge, put the filter in it, then clicked the cartridge back in there. I let it sit for an hour then cranked it up again and the settings were where we left them and it started blowing air again. Im not sure if mine was resetting before, but it was just not coming on until I started pressing things. It seemed to start blowing air much faster this time.

Confirmed; AC actually turns on and starts blowing fairly quickly after start up now.

Last edited:
Yep. Sadly these trucks are so rare around dealers that they're routinely serviced somewhat incorrectly. My '13 has 53K on it so it's not far from the 60K service which does diffs and things. Trying to decide whether to let the dealer do that one or take it elsewhere.

Yep. Sadly these trucks are so rare around dealers that they're routinely serviced somewhat incorrectly. My '13 has 53K on it so it's not far from the 60K service which does diffs and things. Trying to decide whether to let the dealer do that one or take it elsewhere.

I had the dealer do my diff's and transfer case along with retorque and grease. Cost around $180.00 but I know it's the right fluid and done right. These fluids should be good until 90k. Most of the wear debris is in the fluid by 30k, not much debris after that.

Thanks for the advice. Just for clarity -- did you do it at 60K or 90K? How about trans?

.... but I know it's the right fluid and done right......
This is the thing, how do you know that? How do you know they changed it at all?

Ive heard some horror stories from former dealer techs about what they have seen done in a service department.
i.e. Brake fluid flush? Yeah, right. Ill spray the outside of the reservoir with carb cleaner so it looks like I did something. If I have time, maybe Ill suck a little of the old stuff out from the reservoir with this bulbous-turkey-baster thing and then top it off. Good to go.

I typically have done my own brakes. Super simple job. That and a pneumatic mity-vac for a fluid flush (which it needs now.)

Flushing the fluid in my experience is the best way to remove the smoooosh from the brake pedal that builds up over time.

This is the thing, how do you know that? How do you know they changed it at all?

Ive heard some horror stories from former dealer techs about what they have seen done in a service department.
i.e. Brake fluid flush? Yeah, right. Ill spray the outside of the reservoir with carb cleaner so it looks like I did something. If I have time, maybe Ill suck a little of the old stuff out from the reservoir with this bulbous-turkey-baster thing and then top it off. Good to go.

Well the tech would have to have the parts dept. in on his scam. It's not like he is going to be able to just hang out and not do any work. If caught up in doing something like that he would get fired. Not much work involved in draining and refilling the diff's and transfer case when it's on the rack. I did check the Zerts for fresh grease. When they did brake fluid new stuff was clear and resovoir was full. I would be more worried about a small indepent shop. A Lexus dealer has to much on the line for that kind of crap. What you are saying is possible maybe a one in 1000+ chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom