Climate control blackout (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A new user here but I've been told I could get an answer here. I have a current problem with the climate control in my 2006 LC. The climate control blanked out and when I hit the climate button, and error message comes up on the nav screen "Check connection to air conditioner." (or something equivalent). No readout on inside or outside temperature. Of interest - though it may just be a coincidental - but I notuiced it blank after it went through a wash, though the hood never was opened and they don't use compressed air to move around the dust.

Its at my dealer now and will be checked/diagnosed tomorrow. That said, anyone out there have this or have heard of it? I can already hear the cash register "ca-ching."

Here's my saga: https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/404462-dreaded-mfd-issues-reputable-shop-diagnose.html
I have an '05, and you'll read about a TSB http://www.vfaq.net/docs/TSBs/EL002-05.pdf that documents the problem, however it seems to only apply to '04 models that had a defective or sub par solder connection. Earlier and later models don't have the same solder issue.

See the thread above and others related. In my experience the dealership didn't spend the time to do sufficient diagnostics - they just threw parts (costly ones) at the problem.

Your problem could be as simple as a loose connection or a blown fuse, or it could be as bad as requiring a new MFD (multi function display as they're called). Even if you need to replace yours you still have multiple options. To summarize (assuming you need to replace it), you can:
1) Buy a brand new MFD to the tune of ~4k
2) Buy a remanufactured MFD if you can find one (need to work through dealership or multiple dealerships) - someone on this board was successful this route recently. THink the price was ~1k iirc.
3) Buy a used part from ebay or parts vendor like E. Gus Mancy (see my other posts on the topic) or check with auto parts dealers that scour junkyards for used parts. I would check with E. Gus Mancy if you're looking for this option. Price would be comparable to reman iirc.
4) Cheapest and probably best option if you're comfortable taking yours out and don't mind having a void in your dash for a week -> Send your MFD to one of a few electronics shops that are able to repair them. Other board members have had success with this route as well.

Again - you may not need a replacement. Only diagnostics (continuity tests, etc) will tell and either you or someone you trust will have to take the time to determine that. You can check the diagnostics screen - LAN Monitor as well for some more info. If you're looking for obvious answers without running through the full battery of tests, I think the first easiest thing to do is check for blown fuses (check the FSM for the fuse in question - can't remember which one(s) it could be). If they're all good, pull MFD out and verify all connections are good. Check the AVC-LAN Monitor to see if you get more specific more helpful diagnostic codes.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

I was getting similar messages on my 04 Cruiser, which is known to have the MFD issues. I had to replace the whole unit. New the part was over 5k. I wound up getting a re-manufactured part for about $900 installed. Denso is a supplier of Toyota parts that makes the re-man part.

If you're dealership says they need to replace the whole thing, ask them if they deal with Denso. Not all dealerships are in business with Denso. You may need to call Denso directly to find a dealership they work with.

Thats not good at all sounds like the STD PITA MFD problem. Originally it seemed that the 04 was the only year involved but now I cant help but wonder if it was the 04-07?

I was getting similar messages on my 04 Cruiser, which is known to have the MFD issues. I had to replace the whole unit. New the part was over 5k. I wound up getting a re-manufactured part for about $900 installed. Denso is a supplier of Toyota parts that makes the re-man part.

If you're dealership says they need to replace the whole thing, ask them if they deal with Denso. Not all dealerships are in business with Denso. You may need to call Denso directly to find a dealership they work with.
Do you have the part number of the Denso unit you purchased? Thanks

A new user here but I've been told I could get an answer here. I have a current problem with the climate control in my 2006 LC. The climate control blanked out and when I hit the climate button, and error message comes up on the nav screen "Check connection to air conditioner." (or something equivalent). No readout on inside or outside temperature. Of interest - though it may just be a coincidental - but I notuiced it blank after it went through a wash, though the hood never was opened and they don't use compressed air to move around the dust.

Its at my dealer now and will be checked/diagnosed tomorrow. That said, anyone out there have this or have heard of it? I can already hear the cash register "ca-ching."
Did you find a solution to this? I have an 04 with same problem. Thanks.

I know this is an old thread, but this is happening to me right now in my 2004. Started the LC this morning and saw no temp on display then realized the AC buttons are inoperable. AC is stuck on thankfully, and it’s set fairly cold and rear AC still works fine as well. I have the “Check connection to AC” message when I hit the climate button. All other functions on screen work. I’ve read through a bunch of threads but not sure what to do just yet. No water, rain or anything, garage kept 2004 with about 198k on it. Thinking it may be the 60 Pin connection issue. Thanks for any advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom