Builds Clifford is home again- a 1965 FJ40 FST (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

it took me 2 rounds of manual brake bleed and 2 more rounds of power pump bleeder to get all the air out of the brake lines. With the old style tin cup master cylinder.
Test drove it and no pull or soft pedal.

If you stick a vacuum gauge on the manifold or other vac source, what does it read?
Vacuum when warm reads almost 20" last I checked. When cold the reading is about 16/17.
This section looks like a place air bubbles may get trapped. Avoid inverted U-shapes.

View attachment 3285293
As far as I can tell the front brakes have had no bleeding issues. I was worried about that particular part but it seems to have bled well. I am waiting on a residual valve for the rear circuit that I think should help a lot and eliminate the double pump I have to do to get the rears to bite.

Fired up the old dog today and just went for a drive. I love how it sounds like driving a bucket of loose bolts. hahaha .
With a bit of choke the F135 pulled hard and seemed happy.
The drive.jpg

Things that need attention:
Install residual valve on rear brake circuit- Installed 3/29
Speedometer doesn't work (stuck at 30mph).
E-brake cable needs replacement.
Suspension needs a big refresh.
Install wipers
Get a bikini top for it - Ordered
Collect parts for 4 on the tree swap

Last edited:
Alright! Finally fixed the leaking residual valve issue. The correct way to install it is with a sealer on the adapter threads. I am so happy I can finally put the brake project behind me now.
AC4C2740-C033-4610-9EA9-7AEA1D3000CB.jpeg

Moving forward on collecting parts for the 4-on-the-tree project. An exciting box arrived from @orangefj45 . Next step is to connect with @Skreddy for some transmission hump work and making a mold for fiberglass units. :)
1A2ABE9C-F5EE-4E46-AD81-62EEA7DE9985.jpeg

Thanks fir the opportunity to be part of this project!!!!

Georg @ Valley Hybrids @ Cruiser Brothers

Anyone know if these ANCO wiper arm ends 41-01 will take the OEM wiper blades? I think these are the same arms that SOR sells.

85220-55010​

IMG_2760.jpeg

Last edited:
Got a chance to take Clifford out to work today. What a joy it was to drive. Definitely ready for a fully synchronized 4 on the tree though. hahaha. Engine ran great! Pulled hard, didn't have a single issue. Screamed like a banshee on the highway. :D. I was expecting some coolant leak or something.. nope. Phew. Always nice when your hard work pays off. :steer:
IMG_2786.jpeg

IMG_2798.jpeg

Great thread. I've enjoyed following along. I know NOTHING about Land Cruisers or this particular carburetor but, it would drive me nuts to have to apply choke to get my engine to run like it should. If it ONLY stumbles when accelerating, it seems to be an accelerator pump issue. If it needs choke to run in general, maybe it's jetted too lean? It sounds like you've ruled out any vacuum leaks, the float level is correct, it idles good, good idle vacuum. Applying choke is compensating for a lean condition. Unless I'm missing something.

My 52 Flathead Ford carburetor has 3 holes for the accelerator pump linkage so it can be adjusted for warm or cold weather. My engine stumbled like yours does and giving more choke helped. All I had to do was move it to the position that gave the appropriate shot of fuel and I haven't had a problem since. I haven't had to change it for hot or cold weather, it's been good where I set it.

Is there any adjustment to the stroke of the accelerator pump on this carb? The timing of the squirt of fuel? I've seen stuck or missing check balls in carburetor accelerator pumps. It would still squirt fuel but it would be delayed. Holley offers tons of different nozzles, pump cams and such to tune theirs. I'm just wondering if there's a way to dial this in. Too much of a squirt of fuel isn't good either.

I can see an ignition or timing problem causing a stumble but not one applying the choke would change. I hope you get it figured out.

Great thread. I've enjoyed following along. I know NOTHING about Land Cruisers or this particular carburetor but, it would drive me nuts to have to apply choke to get my engine to run like it should. If it ONLY stumbles when accelerating, it seems to be an accelerator pump issue. If it needs choke to run in general, maybe it's jetted too lean? It sounds like you've ruled out any vacuum leaks, the float level is correct, it idles good, good idle vacuum. Applying choke is compensating for a lean condition. Unless I'm missing something.

My 52 Flathead Ford carburetor has 3 holes for the accelerator pump linkage so it can be adjusted for warm or cold weather. My engine stumbled like yours does and giving more choke helped. All I had to do was move it to the position that gave the appropriate shot of fuel and I haven't had a problem since. I haven't had to change it for hot or cold weather, it's been good where I set it.

Is there any adjustment to the stroke of the accelerator pump on this carb? The timing of the squirt of fuel? I've seen stuck or missing check balls in carburetor accelerator pumps. It would still squirt fuel but it would be delayed. Holley offers tons of different nozzles, pump cams and such to tune theirs. I'm just wondering if there's a way to dial this in. Too much of a squirt of fuel isn't good either.

I can see an ignition or timing problem causing a stumble but not one applying the choke would change. I hope you get it figured out.
Thanks! Yeah I think there is still some fine tuning that can help the situation. Maybe reduce the need for choke a little more. We will see. That being said, after hearing from other F135 engine users with the stock carb... needing a little choke all the time may just be a thing. This is where I currently parked the choke. Seems happy.
IMG_2783.jpg

Nice to get over them lingering hurdles.
Glad you got figured out and going.
The 65 40 series I just did I had to use the choke as well.
Great job!

I saw that you mentioned many others with the same carb have that same problem. I wouldn't think they came like that from the factory?

Once you have it in that position where it runs good, can you loosen the choke cable clamp and reposition the cable so the knob goes in? Still leaving the choke plate itself in the position where it runs good?

Great job. I am enjoying your journey.

Chase, is your idle kicked up as well when you pull up to a stop? I do the same thing (slight choke pull) when I need some oompf but push it in at stops to get idle back down, idles fine, even takes off ok but if I need to “go” I have to choke it a bit. I’m running that 2-carb setup so I could be in the over-CFM‘d world, wish there was still a warm body at offenhauser that I could talk to about this, they were the CFM gurus at one point in time.

Great job in getting your rig up the functional-ladder! Watch those crazy Seattle commuters that think it’s the law that you have to drive 10+ mph over the posted speed limit. “Get that antique piece-of-cr@p out of my way“ 😂.

Chase, is your idle kicked up as well when you pull up to a stop? I do the same thing (slight choke pull) when I need some oompf but push it in at stops to get idle back down, idles fine, even takes off ok but if I need to “go” I have to choke it a bit. I’m running that 2-carb setup so I could be in the over-CFM‘d world, wish there was still a warm body at offenhauser that I could talk to about this, they were the CFM gurus at one point in time.

Great job in getting your rig up the functional-ladder! Watch those crazy Seattle commuters that think it’s the law that you have to drive 10+ mph over the posted speed limit. “Get that antique piece-of-cr@p out of my way“ 😂.
I have the idle at about 650. I am going to re-lean drop again with the timing back to 7. One more time to see if I shook anything loose yesterday.

Thankfully yesterday the traffic was SUPER light so no one was mad at me I5. I was planning on taking surface streets but too many traffic jams ate my time away so I had to take the faster sketchier route on the highway. The 40 did great. Have no clue how fast I was going, the speedometer is broken. :p Based on engine noise I had to be running at 100mph. The commuters here in Seattle are all over the place. Most are annoyingly cautious, almost too nice to make the move they need, which causes chaos in itself. Then the others must be from CA, they are the fast and the furious. :D . I did see an antique tractor (only transportation I passed) and we gave each other the "we know what's up" nod. :hillbilly:

I saw that you mentioned many others with the same carb have that same problem. I wouldn't think they came like that from the factory?

Once you have it in that position where it runs good, can you loosen the choke cable clamp and reposition the cable so the knob goes in? Still leaving the choke plate itself in the position where it runs good?

Great job. I am enjoying your journey.
Yeah I agree, it would be strange if they came like this from the factory. It may be a symptom of just being almost 60 years old at this point. :)

Seattle drivers 10 over?! I think every Subaru destined for western WA has the factory set a governor to 50 mph…. And they also set them to immediately go to the left lane and stay there in order to help keep others from the risk of speeding (or reaching the speed limit).

Seattle drivers 10 over?! I think every Subaru destined for western WA has the factory set a governor to 50 mph…. And they also set them to immediately go to the left lane and stay there in order to help keep others from the risk of speeding (or reaching the speed limit).

I don't want to turn this into a traffic bitch fest, but damn it man, why are so many people left lane campers???!?!?!?!!!

I don't want to turn this into a traffic bitch fest, but damn it man, why are so many people left lane campers???!?!?!?!!!
Its not just Seattle….my favorite societally correct reaction on this topic:

0FD13912-5EC1-4C08-A5A1-E48EDF8B1443.jpeg

If a camper is really bad and adversely affecting the flow of traffic, i will get in front of a left lane camper, slow down and force them to switch lanes to “pass” me, and then speed back up to the flow of traffic, effectively removing the blockage from the fast lane. The line of car behind them keeps them out of the fast lane for a while.

Last edited:
View attachment 3309048

If a camper really bad and adversely affecting the flow of traffic, i will get in front of a left lane camper, slow down and force them to switch lanes to “pass” me, and then speed back up to the flow of traffic, effectively removing the blockage from the fast lane. The line of car behind them keeps them out of the fast lane for a while.

Dually with a bull bar and tow mirrors out going 90 usually gets those ding dongs to move out of the way quickly for me 🤓

Dually with a bull bar and tow mirrors out going 90 usually gets those ding dongs to move out of the way quickly for me 🤓
Not Seattle area. That makes them defiant. They ease their socks and sandal clad foot up even more and glare at you in passive-aggressive angst in the rear view. Thinking ill thoughts about you, like you probably don’t have solar on your roof, or you don’t wash your recyclables before separating them into the appropriate bin or worse: you single use ziploc bags….
6BD8EB50-D7E4-4F75-81CB-5CE0D34D8854.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom