Builds Clifford is home again- a 1965 FJ40 FST (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Curious, what solutions have people found to replace this rubber "seat" for the column shifter?
46641848161_19f209dd57_b.jpg

Mine is all degraded or chewed up. Hope someone found a good solution to a bad one? Thanks for any help.

Standing by for this as mine was only half there.

b1028-053_(2)_web.jpg

I had seen on a thread sometime last year, that they used the end, of a spark plug wire, to replace the rubber bushing on the colum shifter. From the photo they had provided, the spark plug wire was a good fit

b1028-053_(2)_web.jpg

I had seen on a thread sometime last year, that they used the end, of a spark plug wire, to replace the rubber bushing on the colum shifter.
Curious, what solutions have people found to replace this rubber "seat" for the column shifter?
46641848161_19f209dd57_b.jpg

Mine is all degraded or chewed up. Hope someone found a good solution to a bad one? Thanks for any help.

This is an awesome story that gave me goosebumps - it was just meant to be!

b1028-053_(2)_web.jpg

I had seen on a thread sometime last year, that they used the end, of a spark plug wire, to replace the rubber bushing on the colum shifter. From the photo they had provided, the spark plug wire was a good fit
Awesome tip! Thank you. I’ll give it a try. I think I have some old cables laying around I can scavenge from. :)

This is an awesome story that gave me goosebumps - it was just meant to be!
Thanks. I still can’t believe I own the thing again. Can’t wait to get it home.

Thanks. I still can’t believe I own the thing again. Can’t wait to get it home.

That roadtrip is going to be a fun one! How far are you going? 750 miles or something like that?

When I bought the 87 pickup I have now I bought a one way ticket to Denver, got off the plane and drove the thing 1000 miles home without an issue.

I absolutely loved every second of it. Make sure you document your journey too - I'm subbed and wanna see how it plays out!

Picked a couple things recently for Clifford.
Extra 3 speed transmission:
46695993411_b439486958_c.jpg

New ball joints for the column shifter and parts to rebuild the distributor:
45780779625_e4fbf791dd_c.jpg

The spare dizzy, along with the new parts from @beno were mailed off to Jeff at Advanced Distributors. Figured I would do it right, do it once with it and be done with it.

And for fun, I found an old sports car magazine from October 1964 with a FJ40 test review. Funny how it already has an aftermarket top and the bezel is flipped!
45881044905_2a4bdfa49f_b.jpg

Just got a little update photo from Jeff at Advanced Distributors. Dizzy restoration is almost done :bounce:
32059171757_0d1d383f7d_c.jpg

Got the distributor back today! Little big of a saga with it being delivered to the wrong address, but I got it back!
Jeff fully rebuilt it, including new bushings, and putting in a new and better rubber diaphragm in vac-advance unit. Its basically a brand new unit. Can't wait to put this baby in.
46247608845_ec4d01d5ee_b.jpg

If you need dizzy work I highly recommend Jeff. He is seriously top notch and goes the extra step to make it all work perfectly.

Awesome stuff! Can you elaborate on the shifter ball joints, like part numbers and source? Also, did the spark plug wire update to the shifter rubber bushing work? Thanks. Go Clifford!

Awesome stuff! Can you elaborate on the shifter ball joints, like part numbers and source? Also, did the spark plug wire update to the shifter rubber bushing work? Thanks. Go Clifford!
Haven’t had a chance to test the shifter bushing idea yet unfortunately.
As for the ball joints, I ordered them from @beno . He has a old parts book that had the numbers. Let me go find the parts and get back to you on the actual numbers. These are the replaceable ones. There are two more ball joints that are not replaceable like these but there is a work around, let me find the thread.
Edit: Here is the link Shift Linkage Rebuild?

Any updates on this one yet? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom