Builds Clifford is home again- a 1965 FJ40 FST (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@EmanC I may come to bug you for switch knob help :)

@EmanC I may come to bug you for switch knob help :)
I got you.
knob_light.png

Its time for this rig to finally gets its a$$ up here to Seattle! While I had ambitions of driving it up, the distance and the scope of work needed to actually complete that drive just kept growing the more I poked around. Sometimes ambitions and reality just don't mesh. Oh well.
I have been keeping an eye out for shipping options and when I saw that @mattressking started a business doing just that, I got very excited. Well it seems that the shipping route stars have aligned and he is going to haul it up to Seattle here in the next few weeks!!! I am super excited about this and to drive it around over the summer. :steer:
1652844734061.png

Its on its way!
IMG_0668.JPG

@mattressking delivered the 40 like the pro he is. :cheers: Super excited to get it driving for the good weather ahead. :steer:

EBDAEBAB-697C-495F-B7B5-0EA28449C49B.jpeg

Alright. Headed into putting in the radiator soon and I was going to rebuild the water pump while access is easy and it’s old as hell. So currently my 40 has this side plumb job coming off the water pump. If I put in a OEM valve on the back of the head… can I get rid of this extra pump plumbing?
0CF8F508-5A05-4892-99BD-C36FACDC7764.jpeg
A0706C16-9936-4F2D-B17F-DEF16BA6E2EB.jpeg

Congrats on getting it home. Now the fun begins!
The project list grew fast. Trying to tame the beast list and just enjoy it and not rip it apart. hahaha

The project list grew fast. Trying to tame the beast list and just enjoy it and not rip it apart. hahaha
Like you said, you have about 3 months of good weather ahead of you. At least wait until mid Sept to pull it apart!

Got this random old cap a while back. Pretty cool looking. It was listed as an oil filler cap... but its for the gas! :) Not sure what Toyota this came from. Still undecided on how to anchor the chain. I know the OE cap has an internal chain.
Gas cap.jpg

Got most of the parts disassembled. I got the valve unfrozen which I was very thankful for. It was stuck pretty good but a lot of heat and PB blaster did the trick. Looking at the parts, I need a new water temp sensor and a new fitting for this extra pump. That hose nipple is way smaller than the OEM which is weird. I’m hoping the local marine/industrial hose and fitting maker will have what I need. :)
6E5D9E02-36B0-4CE3-913B-9E7616CF3772.jpeg

Great thread and awesome that you were able to get your first cruiser back. Wish I would have seen this thread a little sooner though, I would have waved at him when he came though the Olympia area. :)

Got most of the parts disassembled. I got the valve unfrozen which I was very thankful for. It was stuck pretty good but a lot of heat and PB blaster did the trick. Looking at the parts, I need a new water temp sensor and a new fitting for this extra pump. That hose nipple is way smaller than the OEM which is weird. I’m hoping the local marine/industrial hose and fitting maker will have what I need. :)
View attachment 3029191

I'm on the hunt for one of these early style water pumps. These pics help, thanks! Where did you source your OEM style hose clamps?

I'm on the hunt for one of these early style water pumps. These pics help, thanks! Where did you source your OEM style hose clamps?
Got them from Toyota via Onur a few years back. I’ll see if I can dig up part numbers. Also @Racer65 sells some nice stainless steel OEM style ones. :)

Upgraded my OG death metal fan blade when I first owned it to a modern plastic unit and a perfect little adapter/spacer from @65swb45 . Highly recommended this upgrade. Uncovered it again when swapping pumps. :)
36618784-E44C-4CB4-BA4B-D0DCFA2ABD93.jpeg

Couple questions for the hive mind!
First, I took the radiator support out to paint it black (while I am in there) and found these washers under. Obviously not stock. I am guessing the stock spacer setup were those fiber mat pieces, like the ones that go under the battery tray?
IMG_7774.jpeg

Second, the front splash guard. What bolts are used to hold it onto the frame? These sheet metal screws were holding it in. When I checked the frame holes though there was no captive nut, just a hole.... so I am not sure what the stock fasteners should be. Thanks for any help.
IMG_7775.jpeg

Couple questions for the hive mind!
First, I took the radiator support out to paint it black (while I am in there) and found these washers under. Obviously not stock. I am guessing the stock spacer setup were those fiber mat pieces, like the ones that go under the battery tray?
View attachment 3030944
Second, the front splash guard. What bolts are used to hold it onto the frame? These sheet metal screws were holding it in. When I checked the frame holes though there was no captive nut, just a hole.... so I am not sure what the stock fasteners should be. Thanks for any help.
View attachment 3030945
If I recall correctly, the front splash guard bolts are M6 x 1mm pitch. As for the radiator shim, the stock setup are the fiber mat pieces. The part number for the fiber mat pieces is 90950-04010.

If I recall correctly, the front splash guard bolts are M6 x 1mm pitch. As for the radiator shim, the stock setup are the fiber mat pieces. The part number for the fiber mat pieces is 90950-04010.
Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom