Builds Clifford is coming home again- a 1965 FJ40 FST (1 Viewer)

red66toy

GOLD Star
Let me know if you need a road trip partner. Depending on timing I could be talked into this 😁

PS - I'm a Washington native and live in Redmond 😊
Cool, I’ll keep ya posted. Apparently I missed you at the cruiser head meeting? Where you the one with the r2.8 40?

red66toy

GOLD Star
Still collecting bits and pieces for the rig. Ordered a new complete electrical system from @Coolerman and had the alternator sent off for a restoration at Mosley Motors. Excited to have functioning electrics. Years of bad repairs (some by me when I didn't know better) need to finally get fixed.
Planning on flying down to CA soon and hope to crank out some work. New tires are first on the list, then swapping in the restored dizzy and electrical parts. :)

NookShneer

GOLD Star
Still collecting bits and pieces for the rig. Ordered a new complete electrical system from @Coolerman and had the alternator sent off for a restoration at Mosley Motors. Excited to have functioning electrics. Years of bad repairs (some by me when I didn't know better) need to finally get fixed.
Planning on flying down to CA soon and hope to crank out some work. New tires are first on the list, then swapping in the restored dizzy and electrical parts. :)

October? I could probably make that work.

red66toy

GOLD Star
Enjoyed the thread. I wish I knew were my 1974 FJ40 is that I bought in 1979 and sold in 83 was. Lots of great memories and yet I dont have any pictures, sad.
Thanks! Its been hard having it two states away and not being able to drive or work on it..... but with a cruiser at our house already maybe that is a good thing. hahaha.
Bummer on the no pics of your old rig. Hopefully its still kicking around. You never know you may run into it again one day. I wasn't expecting see mine ever again.

red66toy

GOLD Star
Got some teaser pics from @FJ60Cam of the restored alternator. Excited to team this bad boy up with the new harness and voltage regulator.
48713479887_0da7c2f026_z.jpg

48713479872_a69b7a97cf_z.jpg

Before:
44578327060_5f48bef4b6_z.jpg

Last edited:

red66toy

GOLD Star
Been a while since a update. Getting ready to head down to CA for Christmas and prepping to get some work done on the cruiser. First order will be to install the restored dizzy and get it running again, then get the tires replaced. I some Falken 235/75R15s on order (super good deal). I am truly going to miss the 33x9.5 tires but the dry rot on them is so bad. Have a few more parts I am hoping to be able to install this visit but with holiday craziness we will see how much time I get.

NookShneer

GOLD Star
Been a while since a update. Getting ready to head down to CA for Christmas and prepping to get some work done on the cruiser. First order will be to install the restored dizzy and get it running again, then get the tires replaced. I some Falken 235/75R15s on order (super good deal). I am truly going to miss the 33x9.5 tires but the dry rot on them is so bad. Have a few more parts I am hoping to be able to install this visit but with holiday craziness we will see how much time I get.

Standing by to order a ticket. Get that rig running and we cannonball it back!

You got this!

red66toy

GOLD Star
Had a bit of time to get some essential work done on Clifford during my visit to California. I was finally able to install the restored dizzy from advanced distributors:
]
49245666478_e19d4f9bc4_c.jpg

Did a little tune up with NOS Denso plugs:
49240428316_cebb77f004_z.jpg

Some other essential tune up parts and new tail lights went on thanks to this guy:
49283666058_c9645449bb_z.jpg

Finally got some new shoes (Falken AT3) in 235/75R15 size and installed the stainless period correct hub caps. :) I liked these tires, they rode well and the size is perfect for a stock suspension 40.
49284347537_1c77617266_z.jpg

49284140136_825a866e48_z.jpg

I didn't get a chance to installed the @Coolerman harness or the beautiful alternator from @FJ60Cam but it was sure wonderful to see them in person :D

Next project for is to fix the wiper switch. The shaft seems to be seized in the switch so you can't turn it. Its soaking it electrical cleaner solution, hoping that frees up the switch.

red66toy

GOLD Star
Oh man, I can't believe its almost been a year since I last saw Clifford :( . Not many updates of course. Collecting parts when I can as the old budget allows.
I did get a complete steering assembly from a 1964 FJ40 for free locally. I love how helpful and nice cruiser people are. Plans are to refurbish this assembly and use it to do a swap with the setup on Clifford to limit downtime. Then if someone wants my steering assembly for free they can refurbish that one. Need to keep paying it forward. :) Hoping to make a drive down to CA early next year to get some work done on it.
50715781831_b1ae8a3741_c.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom