Builds Clifford is home again- a 1965 FJ40 FST (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Unbolted the front motor mounts one more time. Lifted it up a good couple inches and it was enough to get the drum on. :) Now to torque those two important shaft nuts down.
IMG_8080.jpeg

I realized I was missing the OEM spring bracket for the slave cylinder. I also wanted to preserve the slave cylinder against the heat from the exhaust pipe just below, so I made a new stainless bracket for myself that incorporated a heat shield. If there is interest we can make a run of these.
IMG_8063.jpeg

I needed a new spring. The OEM spring for the later 40s with the driver's side slave was too short and the longer early one is NLA. Thankfully someone on mud suggested this generic Doorman spring set. Worked a treat!
IMG_8103.jpeg

IMG_8105.jpeg

Got the 4wd switch all hooked up using our boot kit :). I always love refreshing these old electrical components.
IMG_8106.jpeg

I filled the T-case, Tranny and Engine with the appropriate oils. Next is to work on linkages, drivelines and fix a bent looking drag link... But it could be the whole rod. Argh.

Curious, how close are other people’s throw out bearings to the pressure plate. Does this look about right?
IMG_8118.jpeg

Chase I can't tell - are you using the adjustable slave or fixed rod slave? The TO bearing is based on that so either:

1. set the adjustable slave according to FSM then adjust pedal height OR
2. if its non-adjustable, just set the pedal height as they aren't adjusted at the slave.

Update: it looks like your slave is the adjustable type, which would make sense. Have you set the length?

Chase I can't tell - are you using the adjustable slave or fixed rod slave? The TO bearing is based on that so either:

1. set the adjustable slave according to FSM then adjust pedal height OR
2. if its non-adjustable, just set the pedal height as they aren't adjusted at the slave.
I have about 15mm of travel to the pressure plate. I think that is too much the more I messed with it. I am at about the end of the pushrod with that end nut on the slave. I may make a longer end nut to make up the rest of the ground. FSM stipulates about 3-4mm of end play.

1st adjust pedal height, then pedal freeplay, then adjust the rod at the slave. All per fsm. Pedal freeplay is the distance the Pedal moves and whrn the slave starts to move. You might need someone to watch the slave for intial movement.

20220711_211038.jpg

1st adjust pedal height, then pedal freeplay, then adjust the rod at the slave. All per fsm. Pedal freeplay is the distance the Pedal moves and whrn the slave starts to move. You might need someone to watch the slave for intial movement.

View attachment 3579625
I'll confirm the pedal part of the issue. I have no hump on so I can see everything moving from the seat. :) Engagement seems almost instantaneous with pedal push so likely within factory spec, but I'll go check.

This all boils down to the 4speed swap. Using 4 speed clutch system with a early driver's side mount location. I have a feeling I am just pushing the limit of the part as designed since it was made to mount closer to the fork.

Pedal is within spec. Plan now is to extend the pushrod so I can get the adjustments to factory spec. I also have parts on the way to extend the t-case shifter rod.

A project frozen in time:
IMG_8471.jpeg

First time I have laid eyes on it in a few weeks. Life can change very very quick. It was good to see the old steed again though. Future drives in it are good thoughts and goals to hold onto right now.

Ditto from me Chase.
Hope everything is going ok. Great thread, lots of tech with a good story mixed in.
Thank you both! I haven been helping a family member deal with a sudden cancer diagnosis. Unfortunately it was caught too late and we are just working to make sure they are comfortable. :( One of those terrible life lessons on how fast things can change and to not take your time with your family and friends for granted.

I have slowly been doing cruiser things here and there to take some needed distraction time. I think the next major step I need to take with the 40 is getting driveshafts made. Might be able to get those dropped off next week. I’m going try out drivelines NW here in the Seattle area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom