Clickity starter!? help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi - I have a 77 FJ40 2F and the starter has been acting up recently. First, it would crank fine, then every now and then, nothing. No clicks, no attempts, nothing. I would, however, still be able to use anything else related to electrical, so I think the battery is fine (?) - but now, I get a rapid clicking sound, but it won't engage the engine. Any thoughts? This is my only ride, so for now, my bike takes over. Can you give me some advice and/or info on where to buy a new starter?
Many thanks in advance.
Kevin

My 69 has similar issues. It has a "flat spot" that wont do anything in the starter. Sometimes I have to turn the key 4 or 5 times before it engages. I will be taking mine to a local rebuild shop. they can usually rebuild it for around $50.

Welcome aspen.

If you have a multimeter, I would ohm out the 'start' position of the switch and make sure that it functions properly. Just because everything else electrical works, does not mean that this contact in the switch is functioning. Have seen this...

Good luck!

-Steve

Um, Bad ground?
Just a WAG but it works for most other electrical type questions...
Also though, when it does that clickity thing, sometimes a short-term fix is to lean in over the passenger fender (with the hood up and in neutral) and "jump" the starter by laying your big screwdriver or endwrench across the bighotwire and the solonoid (shadetree remote starter) so that the starter kicks in. Then you can usually get back in the seat and use the key. Sometimes it even works for a while...Sometimes just hitting the side of the starter with a hammer fixes it for awhile too...sometimes just replacing the starter brushes fixes it for a long time.

Just because your battery has enough amperage to drive a few accesories does not mean that it has the amps left to turn the starter. How long has it been since you changed the battery? It's best to have the battery tested, since that is the easiest thing to do and then go from there.

Thanks for all the help guys. I haven't changed the battery in...well, it's been 5 or 6 years anyway. I only use it in the summertime and leave it garaged during the winter. It has started up every summer like a top, including this past June. But maybe the battery is not doing the job. I'll check it out. But I did clean the contacts today without helping the clicking. Should I do a hydrometer test? Or do I just need to check the voltage? I also remembered I have a remote starter that might help diagnose...hmm...

Thanks - I'll let you know what comes of it all. A gear reduction starter does sound interesting tho....

Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom