Clicking sound from DS rear wheel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, not sure whats going on. There is a slight metallic clicking sound coming from the wheel area after I park beast mode. The sound is made by slightly rocking the vehicle. It's not a clunk but more of a light clicking. Before I start tearing apart the rear axle, I figure I would ask y'all what it might be. Clue- when I jacked the wheel off the ground and set it back down, the clicking was more difficult to produce.

Well, not sure whats going on. There is a slight metallic clicking sound coming from the wheel area after I park beast mode. The sound is made by slightly rocking the vehicle. It's not a clunk but more of a light clicking. Before I start tearing apart the rear axle, I figure I would ask y'all what it might be. Clue- when I jacked the wheel off the ground and set it back down, the clicking was more difficult to produce.
Do you have center caps on your wheels?

How about pics of the truck?

There is a slight metallic clicking sound coming from the wheel area after I park beast mode.
Beast mode? I don’t like the sound of that. I park in frightened kitty mode hoping nothing breaks.

So many possibilities. Every suggestion here will be speculation. That said, some of the things I've seen that have caused a clicking have been:
Rock wedged in tire tread
Rock wedged in brake backing plate.
Missing parking brake shoe retention pin.
Misadjusted or dirty/rusted parking brake shoes.
Loose caliper/ missing caliper bolt.
Loose shock mount bolt

Less likely would be wheel bearings

Most of these you could visualize or check before tearing into the axle too deep.

If the clicking sound only happens when you rock the truck while parked, and you never notice a speed sensitive rhythmic clicking while driving, then my money would be on shocks. You can try spraying some silicone lubricant around the bushings and see if the sound goes away.

Here’s a link to the clicking sound video. It actually picked up the sound more than I thought it would. I don’t use the parking brake.

I don’t really think it’s the shock but I’ll take another look. I put my hand on all the suspension pieces and they seem to be OK and I didn’t see any moving.

Either a spring has come adrift from parking brake mechanism, or perhaps the ant rattle clips on the brake pads has moved, or even the pad wear indicator is touching the disc?

EDIT:

Just managed to hear the video, nothing above sounds like that, there is a tube like echo or amplification, perhaps a trailing arm bush, jacking and lowering is repositioning worn bush, the reason for the change after lowering?

And start using the parking brake, you may find it does not work at all come inspection time.

I will leave the first paragraph in though, might help someone else?
Regards

Dave

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom