Click click start, what's wrong here (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
since I've bought it my 89 FJ62 has had a starting issue. Turn the key and it clicks but doesn't start. Sometimes it would turn over once or twice and then it seemed like it wasn't getting juice and died. It doesn't arc out. You just have to turn it a bunch before it catches. Sometimes two or three, sometimes twenty.

Never bothered me too much because it always eventually started until last night. I've cleaned the battery terminals. Any other suggestions on what it might be. Battery too small? Bad starter solinoid?

koop said:
since I've bought it my 89 FJ62 has had a starting issue. Turn the key and it clicks but doesn't start. Sometimes it would turn over once or twice and then it seemed like it wasn't getting juice and died. It doesn't arc out. You just have to turn it a bunch before it catches. Sometimes two or three, sometimes twenty.

Never bothered me too much because it always eventually started until last night. I've cleaned the battery terminals. Any other suggestions on what it might be. Battery too small? Bad starter solinoid?

Check the starter...

battery connections

starter connections,make sure they're tight and clean. ;)

or it could just be a starter going bad

Its your starter solenoid, 62 is useless without a starter.

maybe I don't have the adecuated terminology in english to explain it, but inside the starter you have some little coal bars, that are pushed by some springs to get proper contact.

sometimes is only a dirty issue, unmount it, open and clean. maybe thats fix your problem, cheap and easy ..

Both 4runner's and rx300 did that. And now the diesel pickup. Everytime, I was able to pull the starter. Take the cap off. Remove the two little brass or copper contacts inside the starter, took them to the starter/alternator shop, paid $8 for new ones, replaced, reinstalled, and started. Not a big deal really. Starters are such simple devices. There are very few things to wear out, and what does wera out can easily be replaced.

The difficult part is removing the starter. Fixing it is no biggie. I'm 110% sure this is the problem.

my 62 had a similar problem. figured out thru tracing every wire, after checking everything else, starter fuel pump: and after riping apart entire inside down to the bare panels of steel, and checking every fuse and relay, that the real problem was at the injectors. A year or so ago, i do a head gasket job and checked the top end for proper specs, and when we put her back together (my mechanic friend was way past drunk now, and this was my first time ripping the top end out and all the rest of the components between the valve cover and clearence to work) i miss-laid the wire loom running along the injectors and fuel rail, i had cause this mystery problem. The loom was lying against a piece of metal shielding, and a year later in the final baby mud hole after going thru an unbelievable path, the heat on the shield and the steam from the hot mud cause the wire loom to burn and the num 1 injection wire, which all the others are connected too, fried and shorted out the system. At one point prior to this discovery i reran some other wires that were torn or burned, i fixed and headed straight for another trail with only the driver and passenger seats and the speedo cluster carefully zip tied to the mounts for the dash. this rewiring may have actually caused an overheating of charge to the injector wire that was already against a grounded out shield. But either way, i ended up burning somemore wires, then still wouldn't start. i took the whole electrical system wires, fuses and ecu out and fixed bad areas. then i came across the disconnect for the wire loom that ran to the injectors. after fixing all possible causes/ shorts/ loose terminals, i re-installed the whool loom inside bundle and the set that runs along either side of the engine compartment. Still no worky worky. This really ticked me off because i ripped everything inside, under, around the whole truck with the exception to the seperate loom running from the front of the engine back thru the firewall and had i think two disconnects, somewhere under the dash. I really didn't want to have to rip the engine apart also, but that had to be the suspect. SO two months later and alot of dead ends, (but did repair a couple of electrical problems with cruise control and trailer wiring, and a few future electrical gremlins waiting to piss me off), but ordered that wire set from SOR, they originally sent me the whole other set, because this loom went with the engines when they were dismantelled. But finally got the right loom. Had to fix acouple of connections with it, since it was used and not supposed to be sold seperately... THANKS for the help SOR guys==got me what i needed in two days, although the shipping was a b!tch. Installed everything back in the proper grooves and locations, and blam... cranked right up. Ran better too because i fixed a couple of shorts and electrical drains. But if its not your starter. Check the elec. system. Hope this helps!

You probably have bad starter contacts. I had to replace mine. They can go on cruisers after awhile.

Could be the switch even, especially if you have heavy keys on the ring with your cruiser key. I've had to replace a couple in both 40's and 60's I've owned. Probably the solenoid, but check the switch, it's available from Toyota.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom