Clear your PM's Gumby! (Vibration issue) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Doc

Threads
I tried your PM box, but it's full.

Here's the copy of it.

Gumbster-

I have a vibration problem, looks like you had something similar, so I thought I'd ask you first.

1993 FZJ80, 160k or so, Stock except 33' firestone destination M/T tires.

Truck vibrates 'slightly' under load at any speed above 25 mph. Lift off the throttle and it's gone. as soon as you get back on the throttle, it returns. Does not increase in speed or intensity with same speed increase.

No drive train work done in near past (none in the two years i've owned the truck).

Help?

FWIW- here is the problem. Found it this afternoon.

P2030009.jpg

P2030008.jpg

That was what mine was - kinda.

I had a "ting" noise under the truck that was caused by one of the caps not having any rollers in it. I fixed it by replacing all four u-joints with aftermarket.

The rears had the right size caps, but the crosses were about .065 too small.

I ordered up some new ones from c-bizkit and all is well.

The moral of the story is it's costs money to be cheap. Get the right parts the first time.

Tank, I don't know how I missed greasing that joint when I bought the rig. The front one was lightly wet with grease, just like they should be. Perhaps I didn't see the zirk fitting when I was making my rounds.

Gum- how much were Toyota OEM U joints? There's a local machine shop that is supposed to do good work, and is pretty cheap. I'm all about cheap, but not at the expense of reliability.

Junk- I think the problem was that I originally missed the zirk, then wheeled it, (hard in CO, easy in Iowa) then the winter salt and sand got in there.... metal fatigue etc.... driving down the highway at 70 MPH yesterday morning I heard a sound that I thought was a rock being tossed up into the wheel well by my tires.... I think that was the joint finally letting go. I think you can see the chunk missing from the top pic.

CJF- Thanks! He's a cute little fatty, a regular 'chunk' off of the old block.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom