cleaning up old springs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just got a set of pig rear springs and they have a lot of surface rust and of course the bushings are basically welded in with the bolts cut off in the eyes. I need to clean them up and get them painted. Wanted to know what you guys have used or not used to do this. Is sand blasting ok? what kind of paints, etc Thanks for the help

I took mine apart, wire brushed them and painted with zero-rust. They look like new:) .

I used electrolysis to nuke the rust, then disassembled, wire brushed, painted black then put a coat of SlipPlate between each leaf. New bushings and they look like new.
De-RustLeafW.jpg

springs

Im in the same boat. I assume this is stock and the same for all 55 springs but do yours have the sleeves in the spring eye? Mine do and it puts the ID at 1 and 1/8 which I believe is correct. 3 of these were pushed 1/4 inch out of center and it took a heavy hammer to put them back.

Does anyone know if these inserts can be replaced? That is where most of the rust is on mine. How about putting a tack weld on each one to keep it centered?

Someone here mentioned graphite based paint but Im not sure where to find that.

I just got a set of pig rear springs and they have a lot of surface rust and of course the bushings are basically welded in with the bolts cut off in the eyes. I need to clean them up and get them painted. Wanted to know what you guys have used or not used to do this. Is sand blasting ok? what kind of paints, etc Thanks for the help

I too would suggest going ahead and disassembling them while you're at it. Mine were original 1973 springs and there was a considerable amount of rust flake between each leaf. I mean a lot, like 1/8" or so between each leaf and once chipped out, wire wheeled and individually painted they were a lot better off and you can imagine how much more freely they were able to slide across eachother.

Sandblasting would definitely be my method of choice.

so one person thinks sandblasting is a good idea any more? I have lots of wire wheels and plenty of time but I also have a sandblaster so I figured that would be allot faster as long as it wouldn't hurt anything I don't think the blaster will pit them up to bad

I just did mine several weeks ago. Took them apart and used a heavy wire wheel and grinder. It worked good. Then painted with zero rust followed by a good coat of a graphite based paint. Found the graphite paint at Tractor Supply, E-Z Slide in a green can. Don't recommend the rattle can like I got. Spend more time cleaning out the nozzle than you do painting. It also comes in a quart can. You might find it a little more user friendly to just brush on rather than spray.

My springs don't look exactly knew, since you can still see the pitted areas from the rust, but they certainly look a whole lot better than they did.

Sand Blasting the springs is a great way to get the rust off. Each person does the job with what they have. :D

I don't think the strength and integrity of the springs will be compromised by pitting, unless it's really deep and extensive. Lots of used springs out there if it bothers you though. Post up a pic and let the experts give it a once over...

You mean you don't have these back on the truck yet? :)

Any pitting you get on the surface of your springs isn't going to hurt em any. Did mine with a wire wheel and wished I had had a sand blaster. Like Coolerman said, use what you got and get it done.

I was concerned that with as much flaking that mine had there would be some loss of strength, but i just slapped em back together and enjoyed the softness of their age and noticed no sagging or any other probs.

GL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom