"Cleaning" the Charcoal canister? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have of late seen several post on "cleaning the charcoal canister". Several post have indicated that the canister could be a source of idle problems due to being clogged or etc. My search turned up more indications of the canister being a problem but not how to resolve the problem. It's just full of charcoal..isn't it?

I didn't know it could get dirty, thought it just filtered fumes from the fuel line.

from memory, you blow compressed air through it a certain PSI which i forget unfortunately. basically just dust it out under pressure. all that pertinent info is in the emissions manual - deffinitely worth the $15 to purchase.

loeky said:
from memory, you blow compressed air through it a certain PSI which i forget unfortunately. basically just dust it out under pressure. all that pertinent info is in the emissions manual - deffinitely worth the $15 to purchase.

Uh, yeah, emissions manual, maybe I could pull one of them off the shelf and look in there...damnit..and duh...didn't even think about that..

High Desert said:
Uh, yeah, emissions manual, maybe I could pull one of them off the shelf and look in there...damnit..and duh...didn't even think about that..
when yuo find it wil you answer your question for us folks who are without said emissions manual?

brett76 said:
when yuo find it wil you answer your question for us folks who are without said emissions manual?

Yep, less I go Stoopid again..

??

What does the charcoal cannister do? What would happen if someone bypased it that didn't have to worry about emissions?

As far as I know the only function of the cannister is to control evaporative emissions. It does, however, also serve as the main vent for the fuel tank. The charcoal traps hydrocarbons from the gasoline vapors so they are not released into the atmosphere. My cannister is clogged, which means the gas tank can't vent properly and I occassionally get gas spewing out of the gas cap. I recently took FJ40Jim's advice and switched the "fuel" and "purge" lines on the cannister, effectively bypassing it, and haven't had any venting problems since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom