Cleaning the bottom (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2015, I'm the second owner. I'd like to clean up the chassis and underside. I've never don't anything like that and dont have a lift available. I do have an electric pressure cleaner. Any suggestions on how to do it or who does that kind of detailing? Any gotchas to avoid?

I've used jack stands with good results but they require a concrete or asphalt surface.

I've also pressure washed with no lifting at all (works OK on a vehicle that's already lifted).

No matter how you proceed a two-piece rainsuit, some facial protection, and rubber gloves will be helpful (and you'll still get wet!)

I always wanted one of those car ramps from a dealership that place the vehicle at about a 30 degree angle....

^^ This. Even if you spend $10 on tokens it's completely worth it to not have your driveway be a mud pit. Just be prepared to get on your knees or side to really get the wand under there and get it all rinsed off.

An electric pressure washer is fine. If it's really muddy take the advice above and at least start at the car wash. Otherwise, do it a home because the only way to see what your doing and get it all clean is to lie down partly under the truck front/rear/left/right. I use a very dilute solution of Simple Green for washing under there and then rinse, rinse, rinse. I get sand out of places I didn't know existed!

I spent some time looking for shops in Austin with the ability to steam clean the undercarriage. No dice, as of a couple years ago. This method is the gold standard and will get it looking shiny and new.

I’m in Houston often enough I should see if there is one there, since it is four times the size.

Made 2 of these last year and they have been very useful. Cheap DIY 2" x 8". 10 inches of lift and I trust them much more than the cheap Amazon ramps. Got the idea off YouTube. Need to make 2 more one of these days.

20191014_230259.jpg

I spent some time looking for shops in Austin with the ability to steam clean the undercarriage. No dice, as of a couple years ago. This method is the gold standard and will get it looking shiny and new.

I’m in Houston often enough I should see if there is one there, since it is four times the size.
Road trip!

Garden sprinkler under the car will loosen mud up. Then you can spray them off with a hose or pressure setup after that.

BTW, I don't recommend doing this in the driveway if you have a gravel driveway. I ended up "seeding" my driveway using this technique.

Anything to avoid getting too wet?

Anything to avoid getting too wet?

I use a two-piece rain suit, jacket & pants. Pilfered a hard hat with a clear flip down face shield and I'm good to go.

I conned the boys into doing it a time or two, but they caught on pretty quick.... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom