Cleaning Sunroof Drains-- do I need to remove the roof rack? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
PXL_20220624_015959670.jpg
I have clogged sunroof drains on my 93 80. And a Tradesman Oval Roof Rack. In the 18 years I have owned my 80 I have never opened the sunroof. Certainly not since I installed the roof rack. I am even sure how it opens.

So my initial question is--- can I open the sunroof with the roof rack still installed? I think so , because it slides into the roof, but I am not sure if it tilts up first.

And my second question-- do you think I can clean it without removing the roof rack?

I am guessing I should probably remove it, but I am not sure.

I am planning on following the approach in this video

FIXED! Sunroof leak/drain clog fix! Land Cruiser and Lexus LX470

Some Pictures:

PXL_20220624_015846452.jpg

PXL_20220624_015853523.jpg

PXL_20220624_015835223.MP (Large).jpg

You should be fine without removing the roof rack. If you are worried about the sunroof hitting, just stand on the side steps with the door open and reach in to the switch to open the roof while watching it from outside. It wound hit though. You may have to find the right square in the roof rack mesh to get the best access to the drains but it shouldn't be a problem.

The sunroof opens in two ways. One way it will slide back below into the roof without a problem, second way it will tilt up in the rear only. Based upon your measurements there should not be a problem but slowly open it small amounts while checking for clearance.

How do you know your drains are clogged?

Unless you can see debris in the inlet, there's no way to tell if the drains are clogged. If your sunroof is leaking, it's because the seal is dry and has shrunk away from the pan. There is only one way to solve this problem, and that is to replace the sunroof, with a new glass panel and seal. You also really need to extend the drains through the floor, because right now, they drain into the inner fender and when that area fills with water, and only then, they drain into the rocker panels. This is by design. Toyota later changed this; take a look at a GX470 and you'll see they drain the sunroof through the floor, just in front of the running boards.

FWIW, the rear drains do not work this way. Those drains tubes drain through a hole in the rear fender and discharge behind the rear wheels. Go look and you'll see it. If you replace the front drains tubes with rear drain tubes, they will reach through the floor and the inner fender will not fill up anymore. This will significantly reduce the water intrusion into the cabin, from the sunroof pan. It will likely stop any leakage from even a very hard rain, or a driveway washing, but a carwash will still soak you, if your seal isn't good.

The good news is that the sunroof glass panel for the '93-'94 80 series is still available, unlike the panels for the later years. Replacing it is about a 15 minute job, 25 if you take your time.

The bad news is your headliner is glued to the roof, and it'll take some work to remove enough of it the replace the drain tubes and repair the headliner. The better news is that a new glass panel with new seal will work as well, and as long, as the new 1993 Land Cruiser you have did. So replacing the drain tubes is really a personal preference, if you've installed a new glass panel and seal.

If you choose to run a weedeater string, that guy's THHN wire, or something similar into your drains, be very careful and stop if it feels like it's not going easily. Same goes for blowing compressed air into the drain tubes. The '95 and later Land Cruiser owners can pull the headliner down enough to reattach the drain tubes, if they push them off the pan nipples. You can't because your headliner is glued to the roof. Merely running a line into a dry clogged plastic tube isn't going to clean it out, it'll just dislodge the unstuck debris. Whatever caused the dislodged debris to stick in there in the first place is still glued to the inside of the drains and will cause the same problem sooner or later. And think for a minute: where is the trash you're removing from the tubing going? If you don't pull the tubing out of the kick panel pocket when you clean it, the trash you dislodge is going to sit on the end of the tube. That pocket's full of connectors and wiring.

The tubing needs to be washed clean in order to prevent the clog from recurring, and the only way to do that, without making a real mess, is to pull it out, which again is problematic for you.

Last edited:

After a good rain or car wash you will hear water sloshing around up there and it might even get you wet when you hit the brakes.

Honestly it's one of those things, if you have to ask they probably aren't clogged lol.

I assumed the drains were clogged when water started dripping onto the passenger seat from the sunroof during a hard rainstorm. But I don't know if it is the front or rear drains. It might be the rear, based on where it was dripping from.

The good news is that the sunroof glass panel for the '93-'94 80 series is still available, unlike the panels for the later years. Replacing it is about a 15 minute job, 25 if you take your time.

The bad news is your headliner is glued to the roof, and it'll take some work to remove enough of it the replace the drain tubes and repair the headliner. The better news is that a new glass panel with new seal will work as well, and as long, as the new 1993 Land Cruiser you have did. So replacing the drain tubes is really a personal preference, if you've installed a new glass panel and seal.
I didn't know about this. Does anyone know the part number for the new sunroof glass panel? And it comes with the gasket? And can you clarify-- do you need to mess with the headliner to replace the glass panel?

Thanks for all the information.

Jared

I assumed the drains were clogged when water started dripping onto the passenger seat from the sunroof during a hard rainstorm. But I don't know if it is the front or rear drains. It might be the rear, based on where it was dripping from.

I didn't know about this. Does anyone know the part number for the new sunroof glass panel? And it comes with the gasket? And can you clarify-- do you need to mess with the headliner to replace the glass panel?

Jared
1. You do not need to remove anything except the trim around the sunroof to replace the glass panel.
2. Yes, the seal is glued onto the glass. Unlike the 100 series, which has a replaceable seal, the 80 and 200 series do not. I have no idea why.
3. Amayama has it (FWIW, it was $230 last year)
1656040717674.png

4. If you are getting wet in the driver's seat, it's not the rear drains. Those are unlikely to ever clog. Because of the design.

Pro tip: use your VIN to check the part number and availability. And don't hold your breath. Their database ain't the best in the world. PartSouq had them last year, but don't list any now. Like everyone else, their stock varies based on what they sell.

Jared
Since we're all a bit OCD.......

You don't need to clean it, you just need to CLOSE it.

Looking at the lower pics, the back part of the glass is about 5mm below the roof surface. You (or someone) has bumped the retract switch on the sunroof and it started to drop down before opening.

Start the truck, then activate the switch while watching the activity of the glass.

As @ppc said, it opens two ways. One is up, the other is to drop down and slide into the roof.

First try to just close it. THEN get into all the cleaning, flushing, seal replacing, if it doesn't fix it.

Since we're all a bit OCD.......

You don't need to clean it, you just need to CLOSE it.

Looking at the lower pics, the back part of the glass is about 5mm below the roof surface. You (or someone) has bumped the retract switch on the sunroof and it started to drop down before opening.

Start the truck, then activate the switch while watching the activity of the glass.

As @ppc said, it opens two ways. One is up, the other is to drop down and slide into the roof.

First try to just close it. THEN get into all the cleaning, flushing, seal replacing, if it doesn't fix it.

Unbelievable. This thought never even occurred to me. Not even once.

So I went and tested it out. First, I tried to close the sun roof. Sure enough, it closed up another 1/8 or so. So @BILT4ME was right on there.

But I decided that I would at least take a look at the drains. So I opened up the sun roof for the first time in 18 years. It seemed to work perfectly. I was able to move it back and forth without difficultly.

I then opened it up all the way and put a smaller hose on my shop vac to vacuum out any debris. Then I grabbed a 16 ounce bottle of water and started pouring down the front corners of the sun roof. Sure enough, the sunroof drained -- and it seemed to so quickly. On both sides the water came dripping out very fast --- from behind the front wheels. I refilled the bottle several times on each side and each time it drained quickly.

Then I drove the front wheels up on some blocks so I test the rear drains. Sure enough, both seemed to drain just fine. I did 32 ounces down each side and in both cases it streamed out pretty quickly from behind the rear tires.

So I was pretty happy. BUT--- then I noticed some water on the drives side mat.

And after testing this front drain a couple more times I noticed that water was dripping from around the bolt that I circled in red. A bolt that is noticeably rusty. :frown:

So I am not sure how this might be happening. Could this drain hose not be fully attached to the sunroof? Or maybe there is hole in that drain hose? Again, when I pour water into that drain most of the water comes out behind the front wheel-- the way it is supposed to. But clearly some of it is leaking the wrong way and finding a path to that bolt, where it drips on to the matt.

Any ideas as to the cause I what I should try?

Thanks again

PXL_20220624_171738734 (Large).jpg

1. You do not need to remove anything except the trim around the sunroof to replace the glass panel.
2. Yes, the seal is glued onto the glass. Unlike the 100 series, which has a replaceable seal, the 80 and 200 series do not. I have no idea why.
3. Amayama has it (FWIW, it was $230 last year)
View attachment 3041705

4. If you are getting wet in the driver's seat, it's not the rear drains. Those are unlikely to ever clog. Because of the design.

Pro tip: use your VIN to check the part number and availability. And don't hold your breath. Their database ain't the best in the world. PartSouq had them last year, but don't list any now. Like everyone else, their stock varies based on what they sell.
@Malleus I've been fighting a similar issue and pretty sure I have narrowed it down to a bad seal. Can you confirm if this part # would fit a 1994, or is that a different part #? thanks!

So I went and tested it out. First, I tried to close the sun roof. Sure enough, it closed up another 1/8 or so. So @BILT4ME was right on there.

But I decided that I would at least take a look at the drains. So I opened up the sun roof for the first time in 18 years. It seemed to work perfectly. I was able to move it back and forth without difficultly.

I then opened it up all the way and put a smaller hose on my shop vac to vacuum out any debris. Then I grabbed a 16 ounce bottle of water and started pouring down the front corners of the sun roof. Sure enough, the sunroof drained -- and it seemed to so quickly. On both sides the water came dripping out very fast --- from behind the front wheels. I refilled the bottle several times on each side and each time it drained quickly.

Then I drove the front wheels up on some blocks so I test the rear drains. Sure enough, both seemed to drain just fine. I did 32 ounces down each side and in both cases it streamed out pretty quickly from behind the rear tires.

So I was pretty happy. BUT--- then I noticed some water on the drives side mat.

And after testing this front drain a couple more times I noticed that water was dripping from around the bolt that I circled in red. A bolt that is noticeably rusty. :frown:

So I am not sure how this might be happening. Could this drain hose not be fully attached to the sunroof? Or maybe there is hole in that drain hose? Again, when I pour water into that drain most of the water comes out behind the front wheel-- the way it is supposed to. But clearly some of it is leaking the wrong way and finding a path to that bolt, where it drips on to the matt.

Any ideas as to the cause I what I should try?

Thanks again

View attachment 3042128
Well, you have a 93.

The 91-94 have bows and clips that hold in the headliner so checking the other parts makes it VERY difficult to see how well the drain tubes are attached or the plastic drain clips are not warped and cracked unless you take apart the headliner.

It's possible your windshield is leaking to dribble in there as well.

The tubes are supposed to run down the A-Pillar, then out the bottom. If they are loose or they get water on the outside, then it will drip off and run down the back of the dash and onto your electronics.

This is why I currently have a giant magnetic Band-Aid over my sunroof, but my cables broke, so it will not even close.

Good luck. I love a sunroof, but these are a huge PITA.

Beyond the drain tubes there are a couple of other reasons for leaks. There is a small plastic piece, secured by one screw on each front corner that cracks do to age. Haven't found this yet by searching but guessing it was over five years ago.

Another thread I did find:

This is the best photo I found of the piece that can crack and leak:

1656104385042.png

@Malleus I've been fighting a similar issue and pretty sure I have narrowed it down to a bad seal. Can you confirm if this part # would fit a 1994, or is that a different part #? thanks!
You'll have to enter your VIN in Amayma's website and verify the part number. It's pretty painless. AFAIK, it is the same part, but please don't take my word for it.

I fighting this same thing !! New Windshield installed with NO leaks from the windshield area now ( not sure there was one ) .. Cleared the drains and still leaking in my passenger floor / carpet. I'm about to look into a good body shop and get an estimate to graft in sheet metal and remove the sunroof all together.. guess if I do that I can remove the roof rack and weld up the holes too...

I would try a NEW sunroof glass but at over $500.00 and not for sure if Amayama really has one is a crap shoot.

Sharky

I did a little experimentation. I took off the kick panel and lower dash and poured some more water down the front drivers sunroof drain. I did it pretty quick-- 16 ounces over 4 or 5 seconds. I got a pretty big stream of water coming down inside. I also noticed a wet spot near the top of the pillar. It makes me think that the leak is up there pretty high, and when you get a lot of water it just drains down the pillar and under the kick panel.

If I had a guess, I would say that the drain pipe has come at least partially lose from the top where it connects to the sunroof drain, but that is just a guess.

If I had a second guess, I guess I should make sure that the drain really isn't clogged it is overflowing.

PXL_20220624_205822883.jpg

g5GBRl.gif

Last edited:
So I did some more water testing. I discovered that if I let water pour onto the little cover plate that I had leakage down the inside the kick panel. But if I was careful and poured the water directly down the drain area I did not see any significant dripping. This makes me hopeful that the problem is just with the little cover plate and not with the hose inside the headliner.

I had already purchased new cover plates. I didn't see any cracks in the old cover plates, but they do look like they are warped a little. And if you compare them to the new cover plates the old ones are missing a seal on the top. And a ridge along the back (although given these differences I should double check and make sure I have the right part-- mine is 63256-60011. I hope it is not for a 95-97 or something)

Finally, I noticed that there is a little piece of the gasket on the glass that is torn. I am going to try some rubber glue on that given the cost of the new glass and gasket.

If this does not work I may be buying a large magnet.

Jared

PXL_20220625_133907023.MP (Large).jpg

PXL_20220625_133719756.MP (Large).jpg

PXL_20220625_143422736.MP (Large).jpg

PXL_20220625_133635063 (Large).jpg

Crap--- I may have the wrong covers. I just looked it up and toyotapartsdeal says that the number I have (63256-60011) is for 95-97. Not sure if there is a different number for 93-94.

Edit:

I found a post that gives different numbers: water drip above driver side footrest - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/water-drip-above-driver-side-footrest.564642/post-7387297

63255 COVER, SLIDING ROOF GUIDE RAIL, RH
63255‑60010 (01/1990 - 10/1995) 1 $12.06
63255‑60011 (11/1995 - 12/1997) 1 $11.47

63256 COVER, SLIDING ROOF GUIDE RAIL, LH
63256‑60010 (01/1990 - 10/1995) 1 $12.06
63256‑60011 (11/1995 - 12/1997) 1 $11.47

But then another post saying they are now the same, and a search on toyota parts deal says that the 90-95 parts are discontinued.

Not sure if I should try and replace with these or not. :confused:

Last edited:
Yeah, those parts are not the same. The 96-97 is noticably larger, and includes the rubber-like gasket pieces on both sides that the 90-95 one does not.

PXL_20220625_160755246.MP (Large).jpg

PXL_20220625_160737011.MP (Large).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom