Cleaning Stock Wheels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My stock rims are pretty beat up. Not scrapped up so much as light corrosion, seem like permanent rust stains. Are there some better chemicals I can use to get rid of the rusty looking parts and make the wheels look mostly new?
2021-09-10 12.43.09.jpg

My stock rims are pretty beat up. Not scrapped up so much as light corrosion, seem like permanent rust stains. Are there some better chemicals I can use to get rid of the rusty looking parts and make the wheels look mostly new?

Not really. Yours are a candidate for repainting.

Mine had some scratches a bit of 'Red Clay' staining so I just cleaned them and repainted then clearcoated afterward.

Wheel Prep1.jpg

Wheel Prep2.jpg

Wheels painted.jpg

You can try muriatic acid, strong stuff so watch the fumes and your eyes/skin and be sure to rinse well. I bought some 16s recently that were in horrible shape. The acid helped for the less stubborn areas but still ended up having to sand for a repaint, mine were worse than yours though.

So I ended up using Purple Cleaner followed by Maguires Aluminum wheel cleaner. Then a combination of magic eraser and scotch brite pad (on the inside). Made a big difference and was pretty cheap. The Les Schwab powder coat option was $85/ wheel plus huge headache of sending them off for a few weeks.

2021-09-14 15.18.33.jpg

So it's been 15months and they are back to looking like crap again. This cleaning worked but there's so much pitting on the coating they get dirty very fast. I keep scheming about a bronze paint or matte black and treat them like steelies.

So it's been 15months and they are back to looking like crap again. This cleaning worked but there's so much pitting on the coating they get dirty very fast. I keep scheming about a bronze paint or matte black and treat them like steelies.

Repaint (if they won't clean up) and 'clearcoat'.....or they will just keep getting poor looking.

IF you live where they salt the roads in the winter....that is a challenge too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom