Cleaning Lower Intake Manifold. Remove? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is it worth removing the lower intake manifold to clean out the oil and egr crud?

Is it okay to spray cleaner in the lower manifold and just somehow mop it clean or will the crud just mess up the valves or cylinder?

Yes, if you also change the pistons and rings. If not, no; it will just come back.

I hope not, just put on catch can and turned off the egr. There should be no more crud entering into the intake.

I left the intake on and cleaned up the intake with a flex shaft on a drill with a rag on it with cleaner.

I would take it off to clean. I've thrown too many codes in the past with "preventative cleaning"...

Problem is it will take you a full day to take it off and on. I've never done it, but it appears to be time consuming, but obviously do-able.

I hope not, just put on catch can and turned off the egr. There should be no more crud entering into the intake.

The catch can and plugging the EGR are removing just a spit in the bucket of all the blow by from worn rings that ends up on your intake runners. Other than ugly, it doesn't mean anything anyway.

Save your time and money for something important.

I have my head oddbto fix a valve problem. Lower intake is just hanging there, all dirty and nasty, and I'll be damned if I will take it off just to clean it up. It would just git dirty again.

I have my head oddbto fix a valve problem. Lower intake is just hanging there, all dirty and nasty, and I'll be damned if I will take it off just to clean it up. It would just git dirty again.

Mine was worse than yours. What's my prize? :hillbilly:

The catch can and plugging the EGR are removing just a spit in the bucket of all the blow by from worn rings that ends up on your intake runners. Other than ugly, it doesn't mean anything anyway.

Save your time and money for something important.

My blow-by ended up being just an undersized PCV hose with an even smaller hose connector I installed to hook up the catch can.
A proper size hose fixed the problem. It was like trying to suck a golf ball through a garden hose or just like Monica with Bill, the excess has to go somewhere.
monica.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom