Cleaning injectors and HOW DO I ADJUST TIMING ON 3BII / 1983 BJ46 / ROTARY pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello you guys,,,,,,,,,,,Cruiser blowing a bit of black smoke from the 1983 / 3BII ( has the rotary injector pump ). What do you suggest I try first? Can I clean the injectors? If so, how? Also, how do I adjust the timing on rotary injector pump? Trying to stop the black smoke. We are not real familiar with diesels and really not familiar with this 3BII that's in this BJ46. Thanks, Dave

Watch this video showing how to use Diesel Purge in a VW TDI. The process is similar for your rotary pump 3B.

The only thing I do differently than this video is to shut off the engine a few times during the cleaning process and let it sit for a few minutes. Works for me.

are you sure it's a 3bII? I was under the impression they didn't come around until a few years later. why do you want to adjust injection timing? hopefully not to try to fix smoke issue. has the fuel enrichment or "smoke" screw been tampered with or still safety wired?

Hi Roma,,,well maybe I am wrong. We just noticed this injector pump is different from other older diesels that I have had in the past. I will check the smoke screw. And from reading your comments what do you suggest regarding getting rid of the black smoke on acceleration? I will post a few pics close up and perhaps u can shed some light on the subject. As mentioned, we are not real familiar with diesels and this 3b is the newest I have owned. Anyway, good compression on this one, 450-420-420-420 but is just lacking power and blowing black smoke. What do you suggest I do? Thanks. D

how about a photo of the engine. Im 90% certain the 3bIIs never came in the 40 series. The rotary pump is just a different style pump. I have one on my jap market 3b. they were very common in the Japanese market. One thing to consider is what elevation your at... sea level? shouldn't smoke unless fuel enrichment screw has been turned. If youre at higher elevation the smoke is normal on a non turbo diesel. Is the air filter good? Depending on the mileage on the engine one of the first things I would recommend is pulling the injectors and having them serviced.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Thanks Roma. Also, a few pics. Is this like yours? A 3B not a 3Bll?

Yep that's certainly a 3b. The 3bII has a different valve cover. Interesting to see yours though because I've never seen that fuel filter housing before with a primer pump built on. My 3b was from a 85 bj70 so it had a rotary pump and a fuel filter/prime pump on the fender well. In a 40 I suppose there wasn't room for a remote mounted filter. The earlier 3b with the inline pumps had the filter on the intake like yours but the hand primer down on the feed pump.

Roma, my air filter good. Sea level also. Previous owner in Japan sea level. My mechanic does not know a whole lot about diesels but has pulled and checked injector spray on one of my diesels from the past. When you say injectors serviced is that something we can do or have to take to a diesel shop? Thanks. D

Thanks Beno and Roma. So, right now symptoms are loss of power and black smoke. Suggestions(Loss of power) ? Thanks, d

Before jumping to conclusions, make sure you have a clean air filter. Black smoke is indicative of a rich mixture, lack of air can cause that. Do the easy/cheap stuff 1st.

They don't clean injectors like they use to, they replace the tips. The tips of the injectors also suffer wear. But check that filter 1st. Ypou can check the alignment marks on the pump flange. They are not easy to see on old engines.

I thought the 3BII were painted a different colour to the 3B. I also thought they had 3BII stamped on the block. I guess it would be possible to retro fit a rotary pump onto an older version, but a lot of work for little gain.

It is a 3B, not a 3Bll. My bad. ROMA, the "smoke" screw is still safety wired. Again, just trying to get some decent power out of this 3B and get rid of the black smoke. Roma, is there an adjustment on the injector pump that might increase power and reduce black smoke??? I own a few diesels ( b and 2b ) and just had another 3b awhile back but all of them had great power compared to this one. I keep thinking the lack of power and black smoke might be tied somehow to the injection pump? Adjust injection pump?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom