Cleaning Exhaust Manifold heat riser face? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I replaced these gaskets 20+ years ago on my '78 FJ40, and chunks of the OEM gasket are rust-welded to the face of the manifold. See photos. I have soaked them in PB Blaster and tried to lift the edge with a razor blade to no avail. Any other suggestions to remove this rust-bonded layer of steel? Thanks! Steve

DSCN8636.JPG

DSCN8637.JPG

I'd try Ed's Red (equal parts mineral spirits or paint thinner, kerosene or diesel fuel, acetone, and automatic transmission fluid) followed by scraping with a stiff putty knife or a wire wheel in a grinder.

Good luck,
Pete

I've always wanted to make a batch of Ed's Red, so this is as good a time as any. Thanks!

I had to use a die grinder with a very mild abrasive wheel and a light touch. That's what MAFs engine builder told me to do .... He also said to use a smear of the High-temp Permatex to help out the next guy (unless you do it again in 20 years :D)

I tried a blue 3M Scotchbrite wheel and that removed the top layer of crud, but not this. I might tap/kiss this with a carbide burr and see if I can upset it enough to flake it off in smaller pieces.

Before reassembly, I was thinking of coating it with anti-sieze, but maybe a very high temp Permatex is the way to go. Obviously, 20 years of moisture/condensate/heating cycles are the cause of this.

The common *wisdom* on MUD said that the orange hi-temp RTV would not hold up on the manifold. I used it for the mating surfaces between the intake/exh and on the rings for the swivel horns. 5 years later it's still the original orange color and has held up just fine.

The machinist I went to uses it on every combo he rebuilds, Land Cruiser and other models.

This pic is after I cleaned with a stone and then polishing disc.

img_1138-jpg.176223

You're asking for trouble with that flapper held on with one fastener. Both mine rusted away, and I ended up with that plate blocking my exhaust manifold, which caused overheating of the engine. Took me forever to diagnose that one. I would step up to a flap wheel on the angle grinder to remove that old gasket material. I'd probably try the red Roloc first though.

Use the round end of a ball-peen hammer, tap/hammer on it, starting at an edge. The vibration/impacts will break up the rust holding the metal gasket on.

Use the round end of a ball-peen hammer, tap/hammer on it, starting at an edge. The vibration/impacts will break up the rust holding the metal gasket on.

I have had mixed results with this method, but it is still my first choice. And you definitely want to try this before adding liquid penetrants to the equation.

Thanks for the advice - I tried this: a sharpened cold chisel at just the right angle peeled back the metal. After that, I tapped the chisel endwise on the rusty flakes, and those popped off. A wire cup brush and a Scotchbrite disk did the rest.

DSCN8638.JPG

DSCN8639.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom