Cleaning Corrosion on Front Grille (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone. My 60 is in the shop getting painted and i figured I’d start getting all the trim pieces restored and looking like new. I’ve had an extra grill laying around since mine was cracked due to a hit and run when it was parked like 30 years ago. The replacement oem grill I have has some sort of green corrosion on it. It resembles battery acid but I really have no idea what it is.

Can anyone tell me what the best way to clean this up would be and get it looking presentable? I’d like to keep the chrome on it and don’t plan on painting it unless I have to. Thanks!

05D23C98-149F-4829-916C-61F78A2CF966.jpeg

0E2A4FF4-70B2-49C2-8326-096C8E0D032D.jpeg

0042956F-A81F-47C0-9DF4-909B4A0EB013.jpeg

E9674360-28AE-4853-8427-49310B5620A4.jpeg

It’s chromed plastic. In order for the chrome to stick, I believe the first plating layer is copper - which corrodes green.
I cleaned up mine the best I could using Nu-Finish wax. Also the black parts can be made to look much better by rubbing some linseed oil on it and wiping off well.

The original Toyota grill had a superior chrome plating that lasted (can last) 30 years. The aftermarket grills look fantastic when new but the chrome plating is super thin and it doesn’t stay looking good for very long.
Keep it waxed. Especially if the vehicle is within a few miles of the ocean. (Salt air dew).

It’s chromed plastic. In order for the chrome to stick, I believe the first plating layer is copper - which corrodes green.
I cleaned up mine the best I could using Nu-Finish wax. Also the black parts can be made to look much better by rubbing some linseed oil on it and wiping off well.

The original Toyota grill had a superior chrome plating that lasted (can last) 30 years. The aftermarket grills look fantastic when new but the chrome plating is super thin and it doesn’t stay looking good for very long.
Keep it waxed. Especially if the vehicle is within a few miles of the ocean. (Salt air dew.)

Thanks for your reply. So the Nu-finish wax will actually clean the green corrosion off?

Nu-Finish worked better on the chrome. I don’t think you can get rid of all the green. If you rub the surface too hard you’ll rub straight down to beige plastic.
I’d rinse it really well with fresh water first to wash off any remaining corrosive film. Dry it completely, then test a little spot with some stuff to see how it takes it. The flat black parts don’t take to wax that well. A white film can be left behind

@wngrog had one ceracoated on one of his builds. Came out amazing.

@je824016 what paint did you use? Happy with the match? I need to do the same to my grille
I used a green 3m scrub pad on the corroded parts. I taped off the front chrome and painted it with silver SEM bumper coater. I wanted to keep the front chrome but cover up the inside parts with silver. Looking back I’d probably rather do a gunmetal but I think it still turned out good.

Thanks! Mine looks like yours did originally. I’m trying to find something similar to that OEM metallic brown-grey so something like gunmetal should work

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom