Cleaning agents (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
kartchcustoms.com
I'd like to put together a list of agents / solvents / polishes etc. for cleaning, restoring, and basically anything else to clean up our cruisers. I'm in the process of cleaning up an old tcase and want to get it as clean as possible before tearing into it. I don't have a parts washer so am looking for DIY solutions to stuff.
SIZE]

Simple Green: biodegradable. Can get in gallon bottle sizes. Mix with water to strength needed. Good all around cleaner.
Marine Clean: From POR15 people. Works good but kind of pricey.
ZEP Driveway & Concrete Cleaner:
Goof Off: Good for getting stuff off paint without damaging it.
Greased Lighting: Lowes. Can be purchased in 5 gallon containers. Very strong. Degreaser.
Stoddard Solvent: Cleans wax off new gears/shafts, etc.
Castrol Super Clean: Good cleaning product. Will affect aluminum.
MEK: Keep away from plastic.
Gasoline:
Rubbing Alcohol: Use for surface prep.
Dry Laundry Detergent: Cleaning surfaces before sanding. Removes oil off anything you want to be dry to get ready to paint.
Plastic Polish: Dash knobs
Steel Scrub Pad: Polishing
Metal Polisher:
POR15 steering wheel kit works good for steering wheel restoration.
Oven cleaner: Helps to remove heavy grease.
Coca Cola: Battery cleaner
Overflow, washer fluid bottle: Fill with hot water and Dawn detergent. "Clear plastic polish if you are a perfectionist"
Lacquer thinner:
Acetone:
Toluene:
methyl Ethel Ketone (MEK):
Stoddard solvent:
Trichloroethylene:

Last edited:
I love Lacquer thinner, Acetone, Toluene, Methyl Ethel Ketone(MEK), Stoddard solvent, and Trichloroethylene.

All very good at cleaning things...just be careful what you put them on...as it may damage things that you did not want to.

Castrol Super Clean is bio degradable and the best over the shelf degreaser I have found. Its Purple in color and comes in a 1 gallon container like coolant. I have a 2.5 gallon HQ weed/bug sprayer that I use. Pour in a gallon or two and pump away to build pressure and it works well for getting into and under places. Get the model with the adjustable nozzle.

You can use this product at home and wash the drive into the rain drain in the street.

Also a good value at $7.00 a gallon.

I've had good luck with simple green. You can get the gallon bottle and you can mix it with water to what ever strenth you need. It's Bio degradable too. The Marine Clean that the Por15 people sell works good too but it's kinda pricey.

I still have a gallon of Gunk that you mix with Kerosene to make a degreaser. Works great and washes off with water but I doubt it's too good for the enviroment (it started breaking down the blacktop in my driveway).

Kevin

ZEP driveway and concrete cleaner for the after party. Available at Homo Depot by the gallon.

Goof off for getting crap off of paint that you don't want to damage.

I like to leave tools in mineral spirits over night after a big greasy project.

What do you guys recommend for cleaning the wax off of new gears/shafts, etc?

you should also note that MEK and trich are extremely bad for you're health and if you really want a good thread post up links to the msds (material safety data sheets) for the different chemicals so we know what we're dealing with:banana:

Greased Lightning at Lowes. Can be purchased in 5 gallon containers. Full strength it will almost remove your skin. Used it to degrease knuckles and worked great.

IDave said:
What do you guys recommend for cleaning the wax off of new gears/shafts, etc?

Stoddard solvent works fine, as does lacquer thinner...

AATLAS1X said:
Castrol Super Clean

Very good cleaning product.

Should be noted that this is not something you want to get on finished aluminum, as it will effect the finish...

Poser said:
Stoddard solvent works fine, as does lacquer thinner...

Thanks, man.

MEK rocks. Just keep it away from plastic. Your liver won't thank you though but it'll leave you feeling good.

How about pink parts washing fluid? OKA, gasoline.

I use only biodegreasers that I use on my bikes: like Finishline or Pedros Orange-Peelz. I will use rubbing alcohol at times as well to prep some surfaces. again, that is a bike trick I use (for cleaning rims for example of build up for better braking surface).

curious, does anyone ever take a high pressure washer to their engine compartment, or is that asking for trouble with electrical wiring, alternator, air intake, etc. on these older trucks.

wantatlc said:
curious, does anyone ever take a high pressure washer to their engine compartment, or is that asking for trouble with electrical wiring, alternator, air intake, etc. on these older trucks.

I clean the engine compartment and other areas with my Karcher steam/pressure washer frequently. I make sure the truck is warm, and I leave it running, and when I am done washing it, I take it for a ride, and make sure that it is dry under the hood. 300+ degree steam does wonders for removing junk....and paint if you are not careful. ;)

:beer:

Poser said:
I take her for a ride, 300+ degree steam does wonders for junks moma....and her pants if you are not careful. ;)

Fixed it for ya.

Poser said:
Very good cleaning product.

Should be noted that this is not something you want to get on finished aluminum, as it will effect the finish...

O yes, Stay away from everything polished it will stain it!!

Poser said:
I clean the engine compartment and other areas with my Karcher steam/pressure washer frequently. I make sure the truck is warm, and I leave it running, and when I am done washing it, I take it for a ride, and make sure that it is dry under the hood. 300+ degree steam does wonders for removing junk....and paint if you are not careful. ;)

good to know. was worried about doing it so held off, and wanted to shoot the underside as well as there is a lor of build up under there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom