Cleaning ABS sensor magnets (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FYI> IIRC the years 93-94 share the same sensors, and 95-97 share same ones. The housing are different in the years and are not interchangable.

i too now got an ABS warning light that will only show up after driving it. sometimes it comes on 20 mins, sometimes 10 mins. have cleaned out the front sensors, and their electrical connections. have yet to do the rears...will do that when i pull the tires for rotation & caliper paint. i dont get any pulsing or anything like that. normal braking

also wheres the ABS fuse? couldnt find it on the dash fuse panel...is it under the hood?

also, this light started after i forgot to unlock the CDL coming down a mountiain forest road. i was driving on a dirt road for probably 10 mins. the diff unlocked and the diff light went out, but the ABS light did not. what would be the cause for this to happen?

where does one find the SST to read the codes? or is there something i can jimmy up from an electronics store?

thanks!

also, this light started after i forgot to unlock the CDL coming down a mountiain forest road. i was driving on a dirt road for probably 10 mins. the diff unlocked and the diff light went out, but the ABS light did not. what would be the cause for this to happen?

thanks!

Likely you went over around 30mph (or some such #). If you do that with the CDL locked (and hence ABS disabled) then the ABS will remain disabled (and warning light stays on) even if you then unlock the CDL. Basically I see it as a nice feature to be able to disable the CDL for unlocked higher speed driving on gravel roads etc.

Once you turn off the engine it will reset this ABS condition and it will behave normally again on the next restart.

So, that would explain your mountain road discovery - but not explain your intermittent ABS light problem.

cheers,
george.

SAme ABS issue

Hey there! Hope somebody is still reading this thread! I'm a new Cruiser owner. I have a 1994. It basically was driven about 5 hours, went in to the shop for a tune up and new seals on the front axles. When I got the truck back, the mechanic said the ABS sensor was going on and off but he didn't notice any problems with braking. Said it was the front right, but couldn't seem to find the exact issue. I said I would take it home, drive it and keep tabs on it. Well, right after driving out of shop the ABS would lock when slowing at 5 mph. slow stops mostly, just as described earlier in this thread. I'm wondering if someone could tell me if it's possible that sensor got mucked up when the axle seals were changed? I don't know a lot about cars but want to go back to the shop with some educated questions. They only work on land cruisers and thus far have been awesome with me, so I just don't want to offend them and come off like a total idiot! THanks so much for any help!

it could be the sensor being dirty, or the sensor not being reinstalled properly or maybe the teeth not being aligned on the birfield properly (they can slide on the shaft). they can check these without taking it all apart again since the sensor installs on the top of the knuckle housing and you can remove it and look inside and see the teeth.

however, it is more likely they damaged the abs sensor wiring harness by stretching or kinking during the job it which is an expensive fix.

Mine failed when gunked up with too much grease that I used to pack the birfs. Cleaned them off and good to go. On the other hand, I did nearly damage one due to improper clearance with the reluctor ring and sensor (the sensor just has that small thin, flat magnet showing. A few metal shavings came off with the interference fit = no bueno.
hth

Hey there! Hope somebody is still reading this thread! I'm a new Cruiser owner. I have a 1994. It basically was driven about 5 hours, went in to the shop for a tune up and new seals on the front axles. When I got the truck back, the mechanic said the ABS sensor was going on and off but he didn't notice any problems with braking. Said it was the front right, but couldn't seem to find the exact issue. I said I would take it home, drive it and keep tabs on it. Well, right after driving out of shop the ABS would lock when slowing at 5 mph. slow stops mostly, just as described earlier in this thread. I'm wondering if someone could tell me if it's possible that sensor got mucked up when the axle seals were changed? I don't know a lot about cars but want to go back to the shop with some educated questions. They only work on land cruisers and thus far have been awesome with me, so I just don't want to offend them and come off like a total idiot! THanks so much for any help!

Hi Zalie,
I had exactly the same problem!
After changing brake hoses ABS started to fail...or to be activated in low speeds.
Did you find a solution for it?

My 80 has been having ABS issues. Started with the ABS activating when I was braking to a slow stop. I pulled the sensors and cleaned them, didn't see anything on them other than grease. That took care of it for a couple days, but now the ABS light is on permanently.

I'm going to pull the code and see if the front sensors are bad. My pocketbook hopes not. :frown: For anyone that's thought about cleaning the magnets, it's a .5 banana job, here's a couple pics.
Can you repost the images?

I have 94 Land cruiser for 26 years , I did fix the ABS pulsation.
1, Slow Drive and step the brake without holding the steering.
2. When truck move to left side, bad sensor is right sensor.
3. Remove the the right sensor and remove the shim that attached to sensor.
4. Clean the mating section of sensor remove rust etc
5. Buy magnet and re magnetized the sensor end pin. like magnetized screwdriver to pick up screws
6, old sensor has week magnet field to generate voltage from spinning tooth.
7. Enjoy

1, Slow Drive and step the brake without holding the steering.
2. When truck move to left side, bad sensor is right sensor.
3. Remove the the right sensor and remove the shim that attached to sensor.
5. Buy magnet and re magnetized the sensor end pin. like magnetized screwdriver to pick up screws
7. Enjoy

Number 4 was the fix for me. After swapping the sensors several times, i cleaned the sensor mount area. Also - make sure you press the sensor in all the way! I was getting the ABS pulsing when coming to a stop... it was because the sensors were not fully in position. Push them in hard and torque down correctly.

7. Enjoy

I would like more information about re-magnetizing the sensors please.

Stroke a magnet in one direction along your object in the area you wish to magnetize. This will align the domains of the material in the same direction. Continue rubbing in the same direction, in the same area. Do not rub in the opposite direction. from Google

For your info about ABS sensor at youtube
Multiple Ford Vehicles: False ABS Activation Speeds Below 10 Mph

Clean the mating section of sensor remove rust etc

Do you mean the mating surface where the bracket attaches to the knuckle, or another mating surface?

I painted my knuckles and my sensor brackets...

Do you mean the mating surface where the bracket attaches to the knuckle, or another mating surface?

I painted my knuckles and my sensor brackets...
Distance from the end of week ABS magnet to the tone ring. Listen to the above youtube video last segment of conversation. not about painted or bracket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom