CLCC Tech Day thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
During this month's meeting we discussed starting a thread for CLCC tech days. Does it make sense to assign this sticky status?

I think Steve mentioned he has a project to add spacers.

Just getting this started ...

Well, I got my 87 IFS pickup that needs major work. It could be a fun project. I just passed this truck into historic and am attached to it, so would like to keep it. Plus, it has paid for itself many, many times over helping us move stuff, and get free stuff (tools, furnishings, etc) on craigslist.

At the fall crawl, the front end got bashed in. I got a chance to examine damage more during day off. The inner fender took a hit and slightly compressed from impact. I think it could be pulled/pounded out. Rest of front should be able to be replaced. I need to find exploded view of front end.

Also at the fall crawl (rough outing for the mini...), I cracked the frame at the rear hanger due to rusted out frame. I will take a hammer to it and see how bad it is. But I suspect I can either replace the frame at that location, or cut the whole back end and rebuild from cab back. To link or not... that is the question. Alternatively, I was looking at a replacement frame. But it would entail moving everything over. Would give advantage of working on frame and suspension first, cleaning and painting frame.

I had picked up a marlin Crawl box, and 4" leaf suspension lift kit. So I was leaning toward this. I have two diffs and some ring kits. and the cherry on the cake.... the Solid Front axle.

I am not looking at pouring money into this project as I have developed new budgetary priorities. So I would prefer using what I have, where possible.

I have garage to work in and finalizing compressor hook up. Got plasma cutter, welders, grinders etc... Just need to clean out garage.

well, it does need a new bumper... :)

There are so many mini projects here.

If anyone plans on doing a bird rebuild I would like to help. I need to do mine like very soon

Here's my list for my 40.

Axle service
Spark plugs/wires
Distributor cap/rotor/points
Oil pan gasket (working on this now though)
Rear main seal (only if needed)
Front crank seal and timing cover gasket
Belts
Change all fluids
Tune carb (if needed)
Adjust timing (if needed)
Replace/verify vacuum lines
Fuel filter
PCV valve
Thermostat

If anyone has similar maintenance items I can host 3-4 trucks. And if anyone with 40 knowledge wants to supervise that's always helpful. I'm fairly confident I can do most of this but I'm not looking forward to the 2 main seals and have no idea what to do with the carb, distributor and timing.

Last edited:
I'm sure we are going to have some folks who are going to need a tech day after Coal Mine.

Yeah I'm replacing my rear lower control arms with the Metal Tech units and my tie rod and drag link with Budbuilt's. Talk about beefy! Just waiting on a set of links/ends from Cruiser Outfitters. They sell all 4 80 series links for $97 for the set and they're 555 made in Japan. I'm hoping to get all this done before next week though so I have a Land Cruiser to drive to the meeting (the 40 is currently on jack stands awaiting the above). I also blew a solenoid on my M12k trying to wind up my new synthetic rope. :bang: Trying to decide if I should enlist Senior Ed to figure out which one a replace or install one of those new fancy sealed Albright solenoids Warn sells these days.

YA I have an issue with one of my solenoids as well I found after anchoring for your last clime. I have anouther solenoid pack but it is a difrent style. I think mine is from corrosion.
I don't even want to start with my list of what I need to fix!!!

But it's still not as long as Patrick's !!

Here's my list for my 40.

Axle service
Spark plugs/wires
Distributor cap/rotor/points
Oil pan gasket (working on this now though)
Rear main seal (only if needed)
Front crank seal and timing cover gasket
Belts
Change all fluids
Tune carb (if needed)
Adjust timing (if needed)
Replace/verify vacuum lines
Fuel filter
PCV valve
Thermostat

If anyone has similar maintenance items I can host 3-4 trucks. And if anyone with 40 knowledge wants to supervise that's always helpful. I'm fairly confident I can do most of this but I'm not looking forward to the 2 main seals and have no idea what to do with the carb, distributor and timing.

I have a write up on the oil pan gasket that you might find useful. It's from the old site that I don't see supported here. ih8mud.com/tech/oilpan.php Just start with a new toyota gasket and sealant. Good luck.

Thanks Dan!
Good writup!
You should send Ed a pm and let him put that on the clubs web sight.

Thanks Dan & good idea Chris, I will add it to the CLCC site.

Thanks for the kind words all. I didn't have a digital camera at the time I did the writeup, so it's lacking a pic of the snapups. Ed, perhaps you can add this pic to the writeup. Thanks, Dan

SnapUps.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom